Thread: Using Inkscape "Division" tool to divide continents into countries

Help Using Inkscape "Division" tool to divide continents into countries

Hello!

I'm trying to divide my continents into countries that can be coloured separately. I thought that an easy way to do this would be to use the Path Division tool, however I am having issues. My continents are combined into one object, so I created a new layer and drew a series of paths (combined with Ctrl+K) along which I would like it to be divided, as seen below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0CktI.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	79363

First, I select the path to split by, then the shape underneath (in this case the white continent). I then go to Path -> Division. However, the result is not as expected. I've shaded the regions to highlight the problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gISNm.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	79364

The lines seem to be shorter than they were drawn and are consequently not splitting properly. Does anyone know what the problem could be? All help is very appreciated .

Hi, welcome to the Guild!

I'm guessing the problem lies with the combined paths. Although a combined path will act as one object, it isn't truly one single, continuous path. From looking at your pic, you have open paths that either start or end within the main shape. Inkscape doesn't know how to break apart your shape when the open paths don't extend beyond the edges.

The Division tool should definitely do what you want however, but I'd suggest trying to break apart each continent one at a time, rather than trying to do them all at once. You could perhaps start with the area towards the bottom left, where it looks like you have a closed path, and take it from there. If you're not using a closed path, try to extend your lines beyond the edge of the main shape to avoid problems.

Hope this helps!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That did the job perfectly! Thanks for the help