Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Valley Map (First Regional) WIP

We're glad you're sharing your work and being part of the community, Saria!

I think you're doing a fantastic job so far and it's great to see your mountains come together. I struggle to draw mountains too (and forests, and rivers and ... and...!!) but I really like what you've done so far and agree with the comment above that your colouring is great. Looking forward to your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Member Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    Thanks everyone for all your advice - Going to keep trying, and definitely working on my "confident strokes" to try to achieve the lines a bit better. I will just keep practicing!

Also let me just say, this community is amazing. I would never have dreamed of sharing my work in this state anywhere else, but you guys are all seriously wonderful. Not sure how this place maintains the atmosphere it does, but I am truly grateful for stumbling into this little world
    I second this. I am new here as well and find this place great! A warm atmosphere and welcoming help!

I gave you rep too! Not sure what that is, but it sounds good! So you got some.

Very good improvement. With the shading and the practice you might use less lines. And like what saying ChickPea, after the mountains there are the forest, the river, the chasm... Repped.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Very good improvement. With the shading and the practice you might use less lines. And like what saying ChickPea, after the mountains there are the forest, the river, the chasm... Repped.
    FYI, I am totally terrified of the forest and the river and the lake that I need to do right now. I'm sitting here staring at my computer wondering what I have gotten myself into!!

Thanks so much, Warlin.

Wip

Time for the regularly scheduled update. FYI this took me way too long, hopefully I'll get faster at this with more practice. Let me know what you think!!

So, no I need to learn - how to make a lake (there will be one in the middle), how to draw forests in a style that will work with those mountains, and how to somehow not lose confidence

Wish me luck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountainattempt5.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	9.14 MB 
ID:	79414

Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    Time for the regularly scheduled update. FYI this took me way too long, hopefully I'll get faster at this with more practice. Let me know what you think!!

So, no I need to learn - how to make a lake (there will be one in the middle), how to draw forests in a style that will work with those mountains, and how to somehow not lose confidence

Wish me luck
    I like the coloring! I'm curious on how your going to do your trees. I just seen someone elses tutorial and put my own spin on it and I have no idea what I am doing... lol

And thanks for the update! lol

I learn better from those learning along side me.

Wip

Here's my attempt at the forests... Really can't tell if this looks good *at all*, so if someone would be kind enough to tell me, that would be wonderful. I tried all afternoon different types and settled on this one... Couldn't find a tutorial that really worked for this style of map, so I kind of made it up through inspiration of a few different maps I saw.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountainattempt6.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	9.53 MB 
ID:	79420

It i always hard to make the forests and the mountains fit together. By itself it looks nice,especially the coloring is imo done very well. But to make it fit better (since it stick out a bit ) I would remove the upper border, make it bigger all the way to the mountains and try to draw it in such a way that the viewer would think that the ends of the mountain end in the forest.
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

It looks really good, I seen this style before it suites your mountains / color scheme pretty good. Maybe a lighter green overall, so its not as much contrast.

If your looking to try some new stuff on it, try a very light transparent gradiant dark overlay going to full transparent starting from the top. Might give the illusion of going darker in the distance if done right.

Or give the tree's in the front (the ones with shadow) a bit more defination, not much, just a couple more spikes around the edges closest to the viewer to show the tiny outlines of the tress we would be able to fully see.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast