Thread: Tir Torrenell - The Stone Face

Wip Tir Torrenell - The Stone Face

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tir Torrenell.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	79452

A quick outline of the old castle nicknamed "The Stone Face". Though not the completed image, I hope to add sloping and eventually the sea behind it, as well as the otherside of the bridge which forms Torrencait, the Stone Fort which holds stables and blacksmiths as well as windmills.

Edit: Forgot to mention, if you hadn't read my introductionary blog, this castle's appearance is based off of the real life castle, Harlech Castle in Wales, combined with numerous Castellanos which were built by the Spanish in the carribean, aergo, the star shape to it. The walls circle the end of a peninsula and hold a large wheat field, as well as a family rectuary (If I spelt that right, it's an old timey chapel building which looks awesome) and pastor's home.

The edges beyond the wall hold artillery platforms for trebuchets and catapults for sea side invasions, and the gatehouse bridge is collapsible. Much like Harlech, I was inspired to make Tir Torrenell an almost inpenetrable fortress on the edge of the water to show power.

Also, I misread my earlier notes and changed that Torrencait was a nobility district which combined into the commercial district. Very sorry for that mix up and I hope to make this map beautiful.

Also, don't know what insides of castles look like, so I am open to what to put inside the main structure.
    Last edited by Nori; 01-23-2016 at 10:42 PM.

Yep, Harlech Castle is an impressive stronghold and a good model. Are you going to place it close to a cliff?
    Anyway, I'm curious to see what you'll come up with.

The imagery I have for it is actually closer to King's Landing Concept Art I found. A long hillick on a peninsula which expands into a large seaport town. A large structure for its time and heavily guarded. As I mentioned, this concept is not the whole castle, this is only the main structure and pastor staple. The rest is actually lower on the peninsula and is either named Torrencait (The Stone Fort) or the Landing, a reference to the large camping of where hundreds of soldiers rested during its construction. The castle, in my eyes, is the oldest in it's kingdom and throne to the king. It also is one of, if not the first stone castle constructed by it's king. When its completed, I will write a history for it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOO.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	79504

I removed the intitial bridge I had made and am now planning a staircase. The main structure and walls are going to be placed on a hill with the Landing section to be filled with houses, a cathedral or a mosque-like building for whatever religion I decide or create. As you can see, the landmass has been drawn and the walls have been placed down with towers. Unlike Torrenell, towers of the landing are more seen and prominent due to the first builders being soldiers and the Landing was a fortress. This will also be see with many of the roads, as they will be scattered around with no real direction to them. Again, this is a mere sketch because I do NOT know how to do town maps with GIMP (Still learning, so hard), and I am unable to find tutorials.
    Last edited by Nori; 01-25-2016 at 01:04 AM.