Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jan / Feb 2016 Lite Challenge: The Tomb of Vrena and the Forgotten Poet

Nice sarcophagus, made me think of the one in the movie Timeline.

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Nice sarcophagus, made me think of the one in the movie Timeline.
    Quote Originally Posted by saria View Post
    Chick, this is fabulous. Who said you can't draw? Love the sarcophagus, seriously! And the scroll looks good too! And the water flowing that way, gorgeous. Well done!
    Thank you both. I can take credit for drawing it, but the design is based on a real sarcophagus which I always liked

Banned User

A few tweaks and touchups.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomb 13.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	6.32 MB 
ID:	79726

Your map is coming along very well. Perhaps some shadows on the floor would help to pronouce the 3D Effect. Right at the moment it takes some time for me to escape a kind of eschersque feeling.

Banned User

I finally got some time to play with this a little more. Made some changes to some things I wasn't really satisfied with.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb 14.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	6.13 MB 
ID:	79839

Banned User

This is the last thing on my list to do, tone down the heavy color in the bottom right corner. I'm ready to call this done, unless someone spots a problem.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb 16.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	6.00 MB 
ID:	79862

This is coming along very nicely Chick! It's very clear and the colors are great. The grass is particularly nice.

Out of curiosity, are you drawing this by mouse or by tablet? If the former, kudos, this is a huge undertaking for a mouse drawing. If the latter, one thing that you can do that I think would strengthen your linework is to use the pen pressure dynamics. This will allow you to draw lines with varying widths and opacity, which expand and taper according to the pressure you apply. Having say, your more prominent ridge lines be thicker than less prominent ones helps to make them pop out better. For a visual example of what I mean, have a look at DJ's canyon tutorial.

Also the river currents will appear smoother and more natural if, rather than ending abruptly, they fade and taper. You can also apply several strokes at low pressure in a certain area to gradually build up a lighter color. I'm not sure how clear that was but here's sort of what I'm talking about:

Name:	River Example.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	79935

Look forward to seeing the completed image.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    ...Out of curiosity, are you drawing this by mouse or by tablet? If the former, kudos, this is a huge undertaking for a mouse drawing. If the latter, one thing that you can do that I think would strengthen your linework is to use the pen pressure dynamics....
    I'm using a tablet. When I first got it, I tried the pressure capability and it was a nightmare for me. Couldn't get anything that looked like I expected, so I just shut it off and haven't tried using it for anything except occasional shading. So ... ok, I'll try it again, maybe more experience with the pen will make it easier now. Thanks for pushing me

Banned User

OK, Arsheesh, you can see how badly I do the pressure thingy. This is literally after 6 erase-everything-and-start-over's, but at least it's no worse than the original version, so I'll leave it. Thanks for the suggestion, I may try some practice with pressure, maybe in another year, I'll be able to do that, too

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Tomb 18.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	5.98 MB 
ID:	80003

Guild Apprentice

Just a small question, I am curious. Why didn't you show the external face of the cliffs on the left side where the stream comes out like you showed it at the top side ?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast