Thread: Planet Map (WIP)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Wip Planet Map (WIP)

As I said in my previous post, I got a bit of map buzz waiting for my dip pen to arrive, so I decided to do another two pencil sketch maps both as practice and to serve an actual purpose. These again are both works in progress and more detail will be added with ink (which should bring them to life more!)

Here is the first of the two new ones. I hope you like it and feedback will be appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Upload Drone 1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	79493

It is a map as part of world-building for an upcoming short animated film I am working on (it wasn't super necessary, but I wanted to map it and the process did help inform the science behind the world). The world is pretty desolate, but supports some forms of life. It is very hot, so water is only existant underground and at the poles. (This isn't very clear on the picture as the main body of land has raised sections which currently look like islands and make it difficult to tell what is water. I plan to smooth these raised regions to blend more into the rest and make it clearer. Again, using a variable line width and shadowing again should help with this.)

Thank you again!

Finally got around to inking most of this in and then being able to scan it. Still a fair bit left to do, including many labels around the border. Also I will likely colour some of it in photoshop to the different heights of lands more obvious.

Name:	Drone map.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	4.38 MB 
ID:	80616

Hope you like it and if I get a chance between Uni work and other maps, I will try to do another update soon.

Edit: Also, as you can see, the scan of this one is much better quality, though the shadow of the first upload has quite a nice effect.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

I'm impressed with the graticule you drew, I always get lazy/frightened and put in a computer generated one but yours look really neat. Will be interesting to see where you take this

Thanks Lingon!

Yeah, it took a bit of working out how the lines should be but I pleased with it. I did get tempted at one point to put a generated one on but persevered in the end. The worst part is not being able to really use a compass when inking them in!

After doing the same for my Cornwall map, I've made a start on colouring this one in now too. A long way to go still, but it's somewhere to go from.

Name:	Drone map test.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	81024

Colours are subject to change and it will probably end up with a somewhat steampunk aesthetic. Also, lots of pencil lines that came through on the scan still need to be removed.