Thread: Drawing a Fantasy Map (my video tutorials)

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Tutorial Drawing a Fantasy Map (my video tutorials)

Hey fellow cartographers!
    I've been hesitant to post this here, because I don't think I'm near the level of a lot of your maps, but after some encouragement from others I figured - Why not!?

I started a YouTube series last summer called 'Drawing a Fantasy Map' and it was pretty much my first time ever trying to draw a map (all paper and pencil/pen). I was not an expert and didn't have any formal art training (both still true), but felt inspired to try to make a map and document the process and share some tips based on what I read and saw in others' videos or tutorials. I feel I've improved a LOT since I started this map, so it's almost a little embarrassing now, but many people have told me they've found it helpful.

Since making these I have found this group and realized how much I have to learn, and I want to thank you all for pushing me and inspiring me with your quality work. I'm getting a Wacom Intuos soon too, so I'm really excited to try digital work. Perhaps I'll document the process of fumbling my way through that at some point too.
    NATE from Sellsword Maps
    Gamer -- Dungeon Master -- Cartographer -- Find me on YouTube at WASD20

Guild Novice

Ha!!!!

I was going through the tutorials page as I frequently do every few months and I thought, hmmm that looks really interesting, immediately followed by Why does this seem so familiar? Then I saw the name and went a bit of a coincidence? I saw a video tutorial just the other morning at 4 am while I was trying to figure out photoshop. THEN I looked at the bottom and saw the WASD20 and went AH-HA!!!! I've been watching your video series for like 3 days now desperately trying to make myself feel like I can do this. Keep up the good work man. I have NO artistic talent whatsoever, but your tutorials and videos make me feel like maybe someday I could create a pretty map.

Good video and nice tutorials !