Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Finishing Climates and Biomes

To start off, I did the oceanic currents (well, those relevant to the continent of Rovendor). It's basically the same as my previously posted map of ocean currents, only covers a larger area. I didn't use "neutral" here, but the current north of the continent should actually be neutral rather than warm (as in the previous current map).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rovendor_Currents.png 
Views:	68 
Size:	663.1 KB 
ID:	81588

I'll do my version of the Jan/July winds at some point, but keep in mind that it will be a generalisation.

Btw, I don't know if you intend the world map as accurate (I assume yes, since the previous maps had fairly detailed coordinates), but based on that the area of Rovendor (see image, the area in red) would be 5,2 % of the total surface area, or circa 21,5 Million square kilometres. So North America would actually be the closest equivalent in terms of area (24,5 M square kilometres).

Name:	Rovendor_Mollweide.png 
Views:	69 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	81592
    Last edited by Charerg; 03-30-2016 at 06:46 PM.

Blog Entries

Hello Charger.
    The maps you've posted are really good! The map of ocean currents is a little bit similar to what I had done, I think.
    How do you go with the map of the wind currents? And could you do one of the Koppen-Geiger classification, as you have suggested to me?
    Remember that if you need information don't hesitate to ask.

Thank you very much. I'm really excited

Well, I finally got around to doing the winds and pressures.

January:

Name:	Jan_winds.png 
Views:	80 
Size:	426.7 KB 
ID:	82312

July:

Name:	July_winds.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	402.3 KB 
ID:	82313

The purple band is the ITCZ, blue represents low pressure, and yellow high pressure (with orange being a high pressure center).

Doing a basic Köppen-Geiger map will be easy enough, though I'm not really willing to go through the entire process of Azelor's tutorial, so I'll probably just make educated guesses regarding the climate, rather than making separate temperature and precipitation maps. Still, even a basic map should give a pretty good idea of what the climate is like in each region, and should be quite sufficient if you don't need a super-detailed climate map. That said, you could also ask Azelor if he wants to take your map through the tutorial process, it's only a single continent so it's not that much work.

Ok, I finished the Köppen-Geiger climate map. This is how it ended up:

Name:	Rovendor - Climates.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	82356

As I mentioned in my previous post, I didn't do separate temperature or precipitation maps for this one, but simply made "educated guesses" based on latitude, oceanic currents and the dominant winds, as well as my knowledge of Köppen-Geiger climates on Earth and where they appear.

Blog Entries

Charerg, it's great!

Thank you, seriously.
    Like you said, a map of winds, ocean currents and Koppen is enough for me. I appreciate and I value your work very much, however I would like to ask Azelor and Deadshade, only to have their opinions about your maps. This is because Azelor indicated as BWh an area farther north, and I had to remove many rivers there; and now you have colored as BWh an area further south, so I'll have to remove more rivers yet. I also think that Deadshade said that it's difficult to find a Dfc climate, and you have colored almost all the north as Dfc, even ET. So I want to see what they think about your maps.

Thank you very much again, Charerg. Is a breakthrough to end this.
    Last edited by Facubaci; 04-10-2016 at 09:29 PM.

The oceanic currents and winds seems mostly correct but as for the final results, I'm not sure.

@Facubaci: I don't see any Dw on either maps. Dw would need to have a continental climate at a relatively high latitude, something your map doesn't really have. BTW Dw aren't that dry, they tend to have really wet summers to compensate the dry winters.

Dfc are not that difficult to have if ypou have the right condition: higher latitudes (need to be cold), temperatures not too hot in summer and pretty cold in winter. It is more common where the ocean is colder. See the oceanic currents but normally it's on the east coasts and inland.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I meant "BWh" instead of "DWh". I've already edited the previous message.
    Thanks for your opinion, but why you're not sure about the final result? Do you think that the Koppen map is wrong?
    So if the areas designated as Dfc are well I'll be quiet.

Thanks again!

I think the Dfc is right, the area is located past 60 latitudes, and/or affected by a cold current. The ET is there mostly because of the cold current, but also the elevation. That said, some of the ET could well be Dfc instead, it's a "matter of taste", if you will. I think both climate types can be justified here, so it's up to you to decide.

Also, it's definitely good to have other people's opinions, since I'm sure the Köppen-Geiger map could be further refined in several areas. That said, keep in mind that since this is a fantasy world there's always a lot of "room for interpretation", so in several place it's more of a judgement call (like the extent and exact location of BWh, for example). That said, since the western side of the continent is affected by a warm current, I think the location of BWh should be about right. The extent of BWh is "open for interpretation" though, if you want a bigger desert there you could extend it southwards up to the coast.

Edit:
    Although about the Dfc I should add that Dfb could well extend further north than what I've depicted here. Once again, it's a bit of a "matter of taste" as to where exactly you put the boundary between b and c climates.
    Last edited by Charerg; 04-11-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Blog Entries

Hello guys, sorry for not answering, but I had some troubles.

So, if you both agree that the boundaries between one climate and another aren't well defined, I'll take the Charerg's Koppen Map as the final, without any modification.

Now I would like to indicate an approximated maximum and minimum annual temperature, as well as an approximated purcentage of annual rainfall. I'll calculate the average temperature and precipitation of real world cities with one or another climate.

For biomes I will do the same. What do you think? I know that the different wind currents in my world affect the biomes in a different form than the real cities, but just to get an estimate.
    Thank you very much!

Blog Entries

Hello again,
    With my partner we are going back to work on our map. The last time, I was trying to know what the weather is like in my world. Charerg and Azelor drew for me what the classification Koppen-Geiger would look like
    After a time of absence, we begin the work again. We want to modify some things and we do not know how to do it correctly. First, we want to modify the outline of the marked territory. We want to make a "strait" (which is important in our history) in that area, but we do not know if it is realistic, because it is very close to a mountain range. We supposed that could be similar to this part of Chile.
    At the same time, we do not know how all of this changes would modify the Koppen-Geiger classification that you drew for us, because a mass of land would be added to the continent.

We hope you can help us.
    Thank you very much.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast