Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Continent of Bulbremeth

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default The Continent of Bulbremeth

Long time, no post. Well, gotta do something about that. So here's a new map I done made. This was a fun one. I got to get creative and play around with some pseudo-heraldry stuff. As is my trademark, 80% of this map can be found on the internet. If you've got a super keen eye and an eidetic memory, and your google-fu is strong, maybe you'll be able to spot some of those elements, and know where they come from.
    I tried to really restrain myself with the labeling on this one. I wanted the map itself to be sort of the background, and let the shields be the focus of this piece. Each shield to a certain degree represents that particular nation's culture, and I wanted each nation to be distinct and have a uniqueness to it. So that's why you have nations of octopus-worshipers and ultra-feminists and whatnot.
    Anyway, hope you dig it. See you in another 6 months! :P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CONTINENT.jpg 
Views:	666 
Size:	4.37 MB 
ID:	77056  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dude. Can you, like, please show up here more often than every six months? Because that is pretty damn awesome. The only tiny, itsy-bitsy, minor nitpick I have is that the contrast between land and sea isn't strong enough, in my opinion. The underlying compass lines help, but I think there needs to be something more. (That is a seriously cool compass, by the way.)

Wow, this is just..amazing! The heraldry, background, compass..uff..simply a fantastic map!
    I'm allergic to pollen! - Amaranthus hypochondriacus

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Great map. The icons are really well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    the contrast between land and sea isn't strong enough
    Yeah, I can see that. I went back and forth on it a fair bit in making the map. I tried giving the "sea" a slight blueish hue, but then I thought it ruined the feel of the parchment base. I tried stronger coastlines but I couldn't get those quite right. So that's how it ended up like that. You do have to pay a little more attention to what's land and sea than I'd like. But it's compromise between that and retaining the base parchment texture, and I feel it's acceptable as is. But I see your point.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    The only tiny, itsy-bitsy, minor nitpick I have is that the contrast between land and sea isn't strong enough, in my opinion. The underlying compass lines help, but I think there needs to be something more. (That is a seriously cool compass, by the way.)
    I have to agree with this.

Great work!

I love the look of the mountain ranges against that textured background. They look like you could actually touch them and feel them under your fingers. I always like that! Your shields are fantastic too. I love the diversity among them and find myself wondering what the people of each area are like.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Banned User

That's a Cartograper's Choice if I've ever seen one!

I agree on the land/sea contrast, and on the fact that your skill is amazing!!
    I love the icons, the way you used textures, labels and geometrical details (compass rose is astonishing!)
    Please don't make me wait other 6 months for another map!!

Well, thanks for the kind words, ya'll. Now I have this warm fuzzy feeling inside. And of course, no map is perfect. I've even noticed that I've forgotten to mask one of the grunge layers to the parchment base, so now splotches are visible all along the outside, in the white area of the image. Oh well, gonna have to correct that mistake latter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast