Thread: Holst Monocline (Sci-fi-ish)

Guild Novice Facebook Connected JustinSlick's Avatar

Default Holst Monocline (Sci-fi-ish)

Hi folks! I have been lurking here for awhile but never really started posting. I've never tried to seriously make maps, but I kinda got into a habit of doodling them on paper plates during pub trivia . So anyway, a few months ago I wanted to see if some of the non-cartography related techniques I already knew would transition into map making. I guess this was just kindof a style experiment using some places from a short story that I started writing.

I have become interested in sci-fi UI and data design lately, and sorta set a goal to work on more of that kind of stuff this year, so I thought this would be a good time to start posting here!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kanab-map-04.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	79697

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like that! The only critique I have is that the text may benefit from a very slight outer glow; many of them fade into the terrain, making them hard to read.

Have some rep for a great map!

Thank you! Yeah I noticed that some of the text was really hard to read. For some reason I think I color picked directly from the map when I was doing some of the labels.

Nice work indeed, I really like the modern render. Diamond is right about labels but it's always a tricky part.

Looks nice, maybe you could add a mountain side town or village that you can see?

Quote Originally Posted by Sezess View Post
    Looks nice, maybe you could add a mountain side town or village that you can see?
    Yeah actually that little brown patch by Kanab might have worked for a visible settlement. I think was thinking of Capitol Reef national park when I made this, and there is a little (tiny) town called Fruita nestled in the valley there. I doubt I'll modify this one, but I'll have to look for some reference in the the future