Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Commission 2016: Lightbay & Orden

Default Commission 2016: Lightbay & Orden

Haven't posted anything in a while. Been a busy month!

Anyhow, here is a commission piece I finished today. This was extra fun to do because the client wanted a map similar to this map, which was one of my first maps last year. Still much to learn, but I think It shows some progress

Cheers,

Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightbay and Orden, Final Version, s.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	79717 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightbay and Orden, Final Version, s, Grayscale.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	904.0 KB 
ID:	79718

Banned User

Hey tainotim, nice job!

The greyscale map seems much too dark to me, and I think you must have just desaturated the colored one. If I may suggest, you could try using something like photoshop to lighten the entire picture considerably, and then to bring back the things that need to be dark, increase the contrast.

I just tried that on your greyscale map and I think it looks much better. Of course if your intention was to be very dark, that's a whole other story .... I won't hijack your thread by posting it, but if you would like to see it, just email me at yodercm@earthlink.net .

I agree with Chick, the grayscale one just doesn't have quite the same contrast level as the color version.

Your maps always strike me as being from an unusually oblique perspective - I like it! It's a signature style.

Great maps, very cool!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice map Tainotim. Though I also have to agree about the greyscale version. It lacks some heavier contrast to be as pleasant as the colored one.

Damn Tainotim! Your work just keeps getting better, I just love your style so much! I agree that the grayscale version could be better but I still really like that version. The colored one though is amazing! Your illustrations are incredibly descriptive and I love their detail.

Guild Artisan

Amusing detail - at least it amused me.
    Novy Svet means "New World" in many slavic languages. At the same time the cyrillic alphabet uses b to mean v in latin alphabet.
    So your SW town Novy Sbet looks like if a Russian wanted to write Novy Svet in latin alphabet and subconsciously glitched into cyrillic alphabet while wanting to write the v

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Love it! Too bad I can't rep you at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by tainotim View Post
    Haven't posted anything in a while. Been a busy month!

Anyhow, here is a commission piece I finished today. This was extra fun to do because the client wanted a map similar to this map, which was one of my first maps last year. Still much to learn, but I think It shows some progress

Cheers,

Tainotim

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightbay and Orden, Final Version, s.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	79717 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lightbay and Orden, Final Version, s, Grayscale.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	904.0 KB 
ID:	79718
    I love the color one! If you use PS you could use the color to grayscale conversionin the image menu.

Big thanks everyone! Really happy that people like it. Hopefully there will be another with the same theme shortly

I definitely concur about the grayscale version. It's just a straight conversion from color in PS, without any work to it. Not part of the commission or anything. Guess I added it mostly for my own sake. The full size highres version is not as dark!

Cheers,

Tainotim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast