Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIP - Historical Map of Glenndom Continent - The Wallungian Empire 9th Century

Quote Originally Posted by randigpanzrall View Post
    The X icons are crossed swords and in fact, they are marking battlegrounds from the past.

In the north we have the old battlefields of the fight against the dark hordes (about 1000 years before), in the center left we have the battlegrounds of the ages, where humans fought against elves (about 600 years before) and in eastern Aegeria we have the places, where Aegerian fought against the expanding Danskar Northmen. (starting about some 30 years before but ongoing till Aegeria was captured by the Wallungians)
    Just a little nitpick - nothing that would detract from your fine maps and great style.

But if you are doing historical maps, the informations on it should be relevant for the period that is depicted on the map. Showing sites of battles from 1000 years ago is a little confusing in this regard.

Well Freodin, you are absolutely right,

even when those battles in the past have great influence on the status quo in the focussed years of the map, it´s somehow irritating. I will change the signs somehow. The signs for more actual battlegrounds will have a different look. I´m thinking about to decrease the signs for these old battles and to colour the signs for actual battles. So you can see, where (and maybe when) the battle was and who was the victor/winner of this special battle.

Thank you all for your comments. It helps to create better maps very much

So for today a little more work for the north-western region:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent guild 9northwest.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	838.3 KB 
ID:	83156

Hey, I noticed that a few bays and rivers had bits where you failed to fill colour. There's a few in the south and a bay in the north-west.

Hey Rickon, you are absolutely right, there are still lots of things to do. When time allows it, I´ll fix it this evening

So the last days and hours I tried to create a hatching pattern for the borderlands of the Wallungian Empire. It was in fact quite of a work and I tooked some dozen of trials, beeing not to lucky with the solution. If anybody knows a good tutorial for that, please let me know

To the map:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	continent guild 9north.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	736.1 KB 
ID:	83549

Those new hatched regions are borderlands at the edge of the empire, beeing occupied or leaded by wallungian forces but not yet an inherent part of the empire.

In the north, we have the Doron borderland, populated by aegerian people in its west and by danskar people in its eastern part. This very special region was always fought by Aegeria and Danskar, with changing borders but after the wallungi-aegerian invasion this region changed into a borderland with its own administration and the crown-count, who is under the authority of the wallungian crown.

In the west, we have the Cornegann borderland, which is a larger corridor, once invaded and occupied by the wallungian crown. Its aim is to protect the actual empire against the keldon tribes of Aremorica, who are not well organized but who are in fact quite interested to live in their freedom not under the rule of one king or leader. They are known of beeing quite aggressive by protecting their clans and little clan-kingdoms and so the wallungian crown decided to protect their kingdom by this borderland.
    Last edited by randigpanzrall; 05-10-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123