Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn WIP: Braid

Hey Lingon, thanks!

I was trying to go for a braided river system like this http://www.geocoops.com/uploads/2/4/...66539_orig.jpg but I see what you mean; I could have gone for more variation in the river widths and island sizes.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yup, that's a really cool terrain type and not often depicted in maps, so that's a nice choice! But yes, some more variation would make it more interesting and realistic

Hmm, maybe I can add some more small islands to get that variation. I will have to avoid going too small for the hatching.

Nice work, I love the bridges! I would go for an intermediate paving to avoid a "too dark" feeling and still get details.

It's looking fantastic, jshoer. Bridges look great.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7955.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	80944
    I've got the buildings just about done! Now they all have hatching, doors, and are standing on pylons. I realized that I forgot to put chimneys on the buildings, so I added many behind the buildings you see.

I have also tried to address Lingon's comment about variation by adding some small islands in the northeast. Did it work? See any other places where I could do the same if it helps?

Coming next: those buildings probably need windows. The roads need paving. The trees will be soon. And I'm thinking of adding little texture marks to the river around the leading edges of the islands, like around the rock in the lake in Gallaston in this map.

Off to a great start jshoer. Look forward to seeing the finished image.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Here is my latest! I paved most of the roads, added some more details to the buildings, and started in on the forests. The forest to the SE is done; the one in the NW is in progress. The town sure looks more crowded now, with the roads inked in - but I plan on coloring them gray, the buildings brown, and the surrounding turf green, so they should all stand out from each other.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7956.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	81118

I am going to finish blocking out all the tree shading and then outline the forest boundary; I will also try and match that up with the road cutting through. In that forest, you will see the trunks below the canopy as in my test back here.

So far, I'm pleased with where this is going!

Looking great! Trees are gorgeous.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

The smaller islands look nice, and the roads and trees are great! Will be interesting to see it with color

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast