Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hand-drawn WIP: Braid

Most of the line art is now done, and I think this is really coming together! There are lots of little details that have changed since the previous update, beside the major stuff like finishing the trees and roads. I'm quite happy with how the north road goes behind the densest part of the forest.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7957.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.95 MB 
ID:	81356

I started to add some little details in the town - boats, a well, and a pile of logs. I'm thinking that might not have been the best idea, because of the scale. But if it works, I could always add some more things here and there.

Also, I plan to do this around the border:

Name:	IMG_7958.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	81357

Comments welcome! After the border, whatever I decide to do in the middle of the compass, and whatever other details I add, I will start coloring.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

I don't really have much to say jshoer. This project has come on so far and it has been a pleasure to watch it develop along the way!

I'm trying to visualise that pattern around the edge and I think it would work well and be congrous with the rest of the map. It's a nice simple style to use and would make for a clear dark outline to the map.

Also, have you finished shading under the trees? I know it's much too easy to overdo these things, but I think in a few places a very tiny bit of shading where there isn't currently would work.

Anyway, nice to see an update on this and good luck with whatever you choose to next!

Thanks!

That's a good thought about under the trees. Like you say, I'm wary of overdoing it!

Very nice job! About the trees, they work very well, except for the trunks, that I would't have drawn at all.

Thanks! What do you think I could do to make it look better? I think my study beforehand maybe came out closer to what I wanted...

I need some advice. I drew in the borders and started hatching them in a way that's consistent with the light coming directly from the right side. On the left and right borders, this works quite nicely. However, I am not really happy with the top border. Before I do the bottom one, I want to ask what you all think of it and how I might improve it. I was thinking of maybe extending the hatch lines all the way across the rope to give it a more uniform texture and differentiate it from the background, or I could try and make the hatches on the top and bottom borders run vertically. Any suggestions?

I'm also looking for ideas to add punch to the compass, because right now I think the border out-embellished it and it definitely needs some more texture.

Name:	IMG_7961.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	81955

GLS, I tried putting a tiny bit of shading under the trees. I've also cleaned up some of the pencil construction lines that were still hanging around.

I think it looks consistent on the top.
    It's one of the problems with doing shading - once you pick a light direction, the shading doesn't always look good in every situation.
    It's just a part of shading. I've had this happen to me numerous times. Sometimes you just have to roll with it.
    The map looks good though

edit - oh, are you still wanting to get in on the Guild World?

Blog Entries

Nice drawing, a good village to live in!

I think that it lose some realism with the bridges! some of them don't have sense, think that people will never construct bridges like this...
    I send you the bridges that i think u need to change...
    In my opinion there are two choices
    delete them if they only comunicate small portions
    add more terrain in that bigger transition areas, with some small building of interest (a small tower, a fountain, a bench xd...)

Name:	braid.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	4.70 MB 
ID:	82202

Hi FranCobas,

First of all, thank you very much for considering my map and providing feedback! I am happy to read ideas for improvement.

My original idea was to be somewhat whimsical with the bridge placement. I think I see what you mean, though - why build two bridges in series when one bridge would easily span the entire river a little further along the bank? (I'm assuming you meant to remove the bridges highlighted in brown and add ones in the places highlighted in blue.)

Deleting bridges is going to be difficult now that the ink is good and dry. But I can certainly add some points of interest on the smaller islands to make a reason to put bridges there.

You've made some good points Fran, but as he said, he won't be able to change it now as it's not digital.

I was thinking one reason they have bridges across several islands instead of across one longer point; maybe they are very poor at building architecture and it's harder for them to build a bridge along a larger span of water. As for the smaller bridges leading to random small islands, I was thinking maybe they're just planks kids put there just for fun (I mean, who wouldn't want to live in a town like that and jump from island to island???). Or maybe the adults like to have some alone time on a not-so-isolated island.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast