Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Hogwarts

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Fun! My daughter is Harry Potter mad at the moment, so she would love this map! I love the touch of the little squid in the lake. It's also cool to see various positions in the school labelled.
    Ravells, when it's done, you are most welcome to print it and give it to her

Banned User

The sorting hat and a wand, just because ...

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hogwarts 07.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	80151

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Awesome!...Gotta love the Harry Potter maps! Now if you could figure out how to get it to track someone

Seriously though, this is a great looking map. I'm kinda jealous!

Guild Journeyer

Another great map Chick.

A couple of detail things to think about;
    - I don't like the leader lines and filled dots, they look like building edges, not labels. Consider a different line style or weight, not making them right angles (so they don't look like vertical edges), open dots or perhaps triangles or arrows instead. (When I do an engineering drawing, I always make sure my leader lines are not orthogonal.)
    - - For instance, the leaders for Gryffindor Tower and Dark Tower pass through the point of the tower, and therefore look like some architectural detail.
    - - Some of the filled dots merge with the filled windows and I think are confusing

Sounds like you may have had a sketch to work with, so maybe ignore this, but to me, Hogsmeade is too close to the front gate, and there are no places for people to live in the village. Seems like there should be some unlabeled residences within the village. Also, the Great Hall is pretty small compared to the other buildings.

Can't wait to see the finished work

Banned User

Well, since there are at least two people who don't like the labeling lines, I guess I'll go back to the same old same old number system. I was trying to find something a little different, but I guess it wasn't so great.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hogwarts 08.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	80423

Yes, the grounds map is drawn directly from JK Rowlings only known sketch of Hogwarts, seen here:

http://41.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l9...yyno1_1280.jpg

The castle itself is based primarily on the movie miniature seen here:

http://www.seeknewtravel.com/wp-cont...DSC_0216_2.jpg

Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This has shaped up really well, Chick. I really do like the composition - very professional!
    Thank you, Ravells, that's very kind of you to say

Guild Journeyer

I like the numbering system better. As ravells said, very professional looking. Something I wouldn't be surprised to find to find in Universal Studios' WWoHP.

Last criteque, I just noticed when viewing the image zoomed in, the great hall and the great tower, many of the vertical lines are not vertical, and make the buildings look like they are leaning. Though you should be aware, in case it wasn't intentional.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123