Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: February 2016 Challenge: Blood Song by Anthony Ryan

I'm starting to make up some place names just to fill in parts of the map (may Anthony Ryan forgive me). Some more mountains and rivers to do. Does the Shadow of the Raven look a bit too hokey?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	render_03.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	893.3 KB 
ID:	80307  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

It's a bit stark, but not wholly out of place. I really like the presentation of this map, by the way.

Thanks Diamond. I'm still iffy about the raven image. The map is really unbalanced because only the locations visited by the characters in the books are in the author's map - there are vast areas of nothingness. So I'm making up place names to balance it out. Still got a ton of rivers to do.

Name:	render_04.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	80324  

Great to see more of your work again Ravs! I like the Raven image but I can see why you are still iffy about it; it is a bit dark. I wonder if it would read better if it were a few shades lighter? Anyway, I like where this is going. Look forward to the next update.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Nice work Ravells! I love the frame and the bird, and the forests are also very interesting and well done.

Thanks Ilanthar! I think the mountain style fits well with the forest style and the general look of the map - I'm very pleased with them. I emailed the author and asked him what he thought, he thought the raven was a bit to strong, so I've taken it out (for now). Pretty much just labelling and rivers to do to try and get the rest of the map, or at least a significant part of it, to a similar level of detail to the Unified Realm. I love labelling - all these little stories pop into my head about the the places.

Name:	render_06.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	80405  

It's looking absolutely fantastic. I liked the raven and it was a nice touch, but yeah, I think it's probably better without it. The contrast with the other elements was a little too much. You couldn't work in a line art raven somewhere? No idea where it would fit though.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Loving the way this is turning out, Ravs! And I'm glad to see you back in the mapping saddle, too.

Hey, are the labels for 'summer ice limit' and 'winter ice limit' reversed?

Eeek! Well spotted, Diamond and thank you. They are reversed! Thanks Chickpea, I'll come back to the raven problem at the end and try something lighter - I might even keep the old one. Part of me thought that its dominance was a plus. I also need to think about what to put in the corners - various sigils of orders and noble houses might work or some written narrative about them - but that can wait until the main map is finished.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast