Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Western Torfani

Wip Western Torfani

I'm doing a break with sketchup and I've decided to go back on mapping with a regional map of my Domhantyr world. It's the western Torfani region, Torfani being the big SW peninsula of the eastern continent.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTorfani zone.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	253.8 KB 
ID:	79185
    I've tried to work the mountains inspired by the last WIP of Max, and I must say I'm pretty satisfied with it. I will probably test a few things about the coastline too, and I'm wondering if I need more minor rivers.

Name:	Western Torfani.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	79186

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

I like your mountains! The only thing that bothers me about them is the fact that they seem to jut out (I always make the same mistake by the way), while Max's, since you mentioned our mountain master, gently rise up from the surrounding land. I think the trick is to start your line work almost horizontally, and make the slopes steeper the closer you get to the top.

The shading is excellently done, however! No remarks whatsoever on that point. Your coastline is great too, but we already knew that, of course ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Thanks Caenwyr ! And excellent suggestion. I've added some more progressive slope at the mountains bases and will take care of that from now.
    Some more mountains and the basic coastline.

Views:	102 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	79195

Ilanthar - are you doing all of this with just a mouse? not a tablet?
    If so, that is really, really impressive. I tried doing some work a few days back with just a mouse and it nearly killed me.
    As I really enjoyed the original map, this should be good to watch too.

Those mountains are magnificent! I love the jagged crags and the contours. I'll definitely be watching this one.

Chers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

This is looking awesome!! Great work, Ilanthar, can't wait to see where you're taking this. The mountains are delicious!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Blaidd Drwg's Avatar

This looks very promising! I love the mountains and the palette. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

Wow, thanks a lot everyone !

@J.Edward : yes, still working on Paint Shop Pro 7 and with a mouse. I did considered buying a tablet, but in the end, I chose a comfortable chair (both for work and mapping) ! Maybe later...

A few more mountains and some tests about coloring the sea. I wanted to change and not use my usual tones of blue, for a deeper one... I think it misses something still.

Views:	104 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	79205
    Last edited by Ilanthar; 01-17-2016 at 09:49 AM.

Mountains look fantastic! I always seem to struggle with drawing craggy, pointy mountains, but yours are really well done.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks ChickPea, I'm trying to follow and adapt Max's method to my equipment and skills. Any comment about the sea & coasts? I think I need something to break a bit the abruptness of the effeft in some places (if not everywhere).

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast