Thread: Farstenfell

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Farstenfell

Hey guys, first-timer here.
    This is my first serious attempt at a digital map, I'm used to hand-drawn stuff, so I'm doing my best to learn. It's a bit empty as it's a map for a Dungeon World campaign, but it'll fill up in a couple of sessions. I might have to make it bigger next time, though. I've copied the continents from one of my hand-drawn maps, but the nations on the map differ quite a bit. I'm kind of looking for a way to represent climates better as the flow of one climate into another is a bit fuzzy at the moment. I'll browse through the maps here to get some ideas
    Oh, and the Teigenhögerschaft might need a bit of explaining - it's inspired by the Holy Roman Empire. The purple border lines indicate the realms of the Archdukes of the Teigenhögerschaft, who have a fair bit of autonomy but still swear fealty to the Emperor.
    Looking at the maps on this forum, this feels like a bit of an amateurish job, but I'm overall quite pleased with it. I'm going to look for a beter colour scheme for the sea, though - the water's a bit too tropical for my tastes. Another font and letter colour might be a smart move, too.
    EDIT: I've taken the commentary into account, and I'm pleased with the alterations I've made. I'm afraid I can't really alter this map more, though - partially because this is the Finished Maps section, but mostly because in a fit of idiocy I saved my most recent work as a single layer. That taught me to make backups, heh.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Farstenfell.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	650.7 KB 
ID:	80215  
    Last edited by Comrade_Cartographer; 02-14-2016 at 01:58 PM.

Banned User

A nice map for a first start! You are correct that the colors are too strong, you might want to try desaturating them, lightening them, and making more contrast with the text. Play around with the colors for a while, I suspect you'll be able to make it better quickly.

Your rivers are not right. You have rivers that split and lakes with no outlets to the sea. You might want to read these tutorials:

How to Get Your Rivers in the Right Place: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

and
    The Most Common Reality Errors: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=30156

and then do a little revision on those.

I'll look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Ah darn, I knew I forgot something. Thanks for the comments!
    Last edited by Comrade_Cartographer; 02-14-2016 at 11:59 AM.