Hello guild! On several occasions now I have been asked if I want to take commissions where I would produce brush sets / sets of buildings/structures that would be used in some map generator or such. Now, I always refrain from such commissions as I think it undermines the integrity of my own work.

My questions here is, what does people think about such commissions? In many ways map generators and similar applications can be awesome, and obviously, someone have to provide the artwork for them. But isn't it a big risk getting involved in a such a project? To produce a brush set would take less time then producing a map, and the map generated with the brushes would look much worse than a regular map, but realistically, the cost of a brush set ought to be many times steeper than one single map, as it allows for a unlimited supply of maps. And yet in a sense whenever I get requests for such a commission, I always feel silly to turn it down as it would require a minimum amount of work for a decent pay.

So, what do people think about such commissions? Anyone agree with my thoughts?

Cheers,
Tainotim