Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Working on a 100 symbol set for Sci-Fi Battle Systems, Starports and Starships

Default Working on a 100 symbol set for Sci-Fi Battle Systems, Starports and Starships

Although I started this project a while back, I got derailed for a few months, so now I'm back it. I am working on a 100 map symbol set of Sci-Fi objects usable in battle stations, starship deck plans and starport maps. As always, I am using Xara Designer Pro x11, a vector drawing application with powerful beveling and transparency features as well as some light duty 3D extrusions. I am mostly using photo texture fills, or simple color, and drop shadows. I've even included a sample bridge deck for some starship using some of the symbols.

Anyway, I've got about 80+ items created so far.

GP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sci-fi-objects.jpg 
Views:	280 
Size:	576.4 KB 
ID:	80355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	more-sci-fi-stuff.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	968.0 KB 
ID:	80356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bridge-deck01.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	317.3 KB 
ID:	80357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stateroom-sci-fi.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	80358  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Well if you think everyone aboard sleeps in a stateroom, then you might have to crew a different ship. Staterooms are reserved for the ship's captain, owner, and high passage clients, everyone else sleeps in crew quarter cells, such as this one - inspired by Firefly to a degree.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crew-quarters.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	413.3 KB 
ID:	80372
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Someone asked if I could create rooms, bulkheads, floors, etc for an additional set of Sci-Fi map objects, and I said I would. I am doing a map commission right now for 5 maps, so that's a priority, but currently waiting for the author to explain some details in the next map I'll be doing, so I've got some spare time to do a couple.

I decided that a round room for a power plant or something is sometimes needed in a starship/starport design, but round often isn't congruent with square/rectangular deck plans and hallways, so I created a set of round rooms inside a square. In the open corners of each room I stuck in various conduits and one with a Jeffries tube. Also I created a single entrance round room, a 2 entrance thruway, a 2 entrance elbow, a 3 entrance one, and a 4 entrance crossroad - to allow every option.Note I used "halo" shadows so you can rotate or flip any of these chambers and shadows are the same.

I also included a 48 foot piece of bulkhead, a 20 foot piece of bulkhead, and a 20 foot piece of bulkhead with a corner. I also cropped these so you can overlay corners with bulkheads, or extend a bulkhead length by overlapping them with another bulkhead, so it looks continuous.

I also created a repeating texture of hull/bulkhead exterior surface - like the surface of the Millennium Falcon (ubiquitous panels, boxes, channels - called "nurnies" by Industrial Light & Magic).

As I get more respites during my commission I will create more chamber shapes with various entry ways to add to this set - I don't know how many in total, but we'll see.

I also plan to create various floors, I'm thinking colored removable panels on a grid as one possible floor design, and even including one floor piece with a panel removed and set aside exposing horizontal conduits and such in shadows beneath the floor - for maintenance purposes. I will include a floor grating repeating texture so you can create overhead catwalks as another kind of flooring.

Anyway, first partial set of bulkhead, chambers, etc.

GP

Name:	rounded-rooms-walls-corners-hull_texture.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	3.11 MB 
ID:	80731
    DrivethruRPG store

Underneath a mining excavator vehicle, with support legs, tracks, weighted, diamond tipped rock drill and a ladder is accessable at ground level, the rest of the vehicle (shown in shadow) is over their heads. Might make a good place for a fire fight with rocks being tossed around and risk falling into the spinning rock drill.

I used a 3D extrude tool to create the legs, the tracks and the cover over the tracks, another tool in Xara Designer Pro x11.

GP

Name:	beneath-excavator.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	808.9 KB 
ID:	80799
    DrivethruRPG store

For my next sci-fi map object set, I plan to include some repeating textures to use as image fills for flooring and superstructure. The following is a simple grated floor with a dark shadow beneath, and a sci-fi hull surface texture.

Name:	grated-floor.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	80814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deckplate-new.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	722.3 KB 
ID:	80815
    DrivethruRPG store

Can never have too many sci-fi control consoles - this one is 200 ppi.

Name:	purple-console-200.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	80827
    DrivethruRPG store

Just playing around with bevels and 3D extrusions in Xara Designer Pro - here's an insect-like warbot or cybernetic insect race.

GP

Name:	warbot-walker.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	80830
    DrivethruRPG store

Some kind of power junction or something.

Name:	power-junction.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	311.9 KB 
ID:	80839
    DrivethruRPG store

I like that power junction thingie.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thanks, Jax! Here's another: external cargo airlock closed, opening, opened with internal airlock doors remaining shut, for any extra-vehicular activity.

GP

Name:	external-airlock-3-positions.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	667.6 KB 
ID:	80841
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast