Thread: Unnamed Regional Map (WIP) - Concept Test

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Wip Unnamed Regional Map (WIP) - Concept Test

I'm working on an A3 version of the map I'm basing my WIP tutorial on at the moment. The background idea for the project is threefold:
    • training, of course,
    • measuring how much time I actually need to do a map and
    • trying out a new sales model, actually.

The simple truth of much of what I do is that I get better and more refined through repeating the same processes over and over again. As a bonus, training the basics often leads to some nice ideas on the side. So my fortieth mountains will look better than my fourth. Easy enough. But what I need to get a solid idea of is how much I actually need for a given map if I work on it without pause of distractions, mainly as a means to schedule my limited free time. Lastly, I'll end up doing a full color version of this map here in two versions: one with just the territory, another with locations and symbols added. I'm interested in figuring out if that kind of off the shelf map engenders any sort of interest from game masters or authors as the (geographic) setting - ie. the rough, cold North - is rather popular in many RPG and fantasy writing circles (see the Icewind Dale in the Forgotten Realms, for example).

Anyway, thought it was worth it letting you take part in my train of thought.

Here's what I've got so far. This took me ~3 hours, 40 minutes, but since I was working off a template a more realistic estimate is around 4 1/2 hours. Done so far: Landmass, Coastal Layers, Beach Layer, Ice Sheet, Rivers & Lakes Layer, Swamp Water Layer, Mountain Layer -- all just the lineart at 300dpi, A3. Enjoy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutorial Map, Refined for Own Version.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	544.9 KB 
ID:	80552

Up to date WIPs will follow in later posts, so check out the rest of the thread, please.
    Last edited by Wired; 02-24-2016 at 04:31 AM.