Thread: Map of the AD&D 2e Cosmology, v2.0

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wow, clearly your knowledge of D&D settings is encyclopaedic. I remember you making the first map which in my mind is a legendary achievement, but this looks on track to be even more amazing. I saw the Dark Sun sphere you've got there, and I seem to recall that world having two suns, or perhaps it was only the cover art.

Great map. But unless you got it by another name, you forgot the Demiplane of Dread, home of the Ravenloft setting. I also believe that Cynosure, the meeting place of the gods of Toril, was also considered it's own demiplane.

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Klaus van der Kroft's Avatar

I had to momentarily put this project on hold while I finish a map for a friend's novel, but that's almost done, so I should be continuing this either this or next week, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Wow, clearly your knowledge of D&D settings is encyclopaedic. I remember you making the first map which in my mind is a legendary achievement, but this looks on track to be even more amazing. I saw the Dark Sun sphere you've got there, and I seem to recall that world having two suns, or perhaps it was only the cover art.
    Thanks! Sadly, every bit I've learned about D&D's cosmology has displaced another bit of useful information. I fear if I read about another plane I'll forget how to boil water or put on my socks.

As for Dark Sun: It only has one sun, but a lot of the art is indeed confusing. The logo looks like a big sun next to a small sun, but the second body is actually Athas itself. The rest of the art usually depics either the Dark Sun along one of the two moons, or the two moons which, due to their colour, can easily be confused as two suns!

Quote Originally Posted by Talondor View Post
    Great map. But unless you got it by another name, you forgot the Demiplane of Dread, home of the Ravenloft setting. I also believe that Cynosure, the meeting place of the gods of Toril, was also considered it's own demiplane.
    Thanks, Talondor!

Regarding Ravenloft: I'll be adding the demiplanes (which was one of the things missing in the first version of the map, prompting me to make a new one) next. Ravenloft, Wormscape, Moil, The Boundless, the Demiplane of Electromagnetism (yes, really, it's canonical), The Plane That Lives, and all those odd places floating away in the Deep Ethereal.

As for Cynosure, it is formally a plane in the alternative Great Tree cosmology of the Realms, but not part of the Great Wheel. The problem I have with including the Great Tree is that it is canonically not supposed to exist in the same reality as the Great Wheel, at least as far as AD&D 2e is concerned. In 3e the Plane of Shadows became a possible connection between alternating cosmologies, but it was mostly left for the DM to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by wthrasherb View Post
    This is awesome! I Love it!
    Much appreciated!