Thread: The Clocktower - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

In the last few weeks I took a tour up an old Abbey tower where you could sit behind the clock face and go into the belfry. If any pics of these would be interesting then I can post. They are not top down of course but might provide some extra flavor. Clanging bells going off at random might have some dangerous consequences.

The thing that always bothers me about steam punk, and I guess is the whole point of it, is that all the cogs never seem to have any function. I always thought that the idea is to use antiquated tech to do a modern job. All the steam punk I ever see is overly complex brass cogs stuck on things. It should be easier in art to do something better than the models of stuff that boing boing keeps showing.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 11-14-2008 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    In the last few weeks I took a tour up an old Abbey tower where you could sit behind the clock face and go into the belfry. If any pics of these would be interesting then I can post.
    Yes please!

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    The thing that always bothers me about steam punk, and I guess is the whole point of it, is that all the cogs never seem to have any function. I always thought that the idea is to use antiquated tech to do a modern job. All the steam punk I ever see is overly complex brass cogs stuck on things. It should be easier in art to do something better than the models of stuff that boing boing keeps showing.
    Hahah, brilliant! I enjoy the overly complex, brass cog ascetic.

@ravells - Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Blog Entries

Some more... got a few more bells and the carillon but thats pretty much flushed me out of steam punk.