Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unnamed Fantasy Region Map Part 1 WIP

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Wip Unnamed Fantasy Region Map Part 1 WIP

Okay, I feel like I haven't uploaded much in a little bit, because I've been busy with work things but I have been doodling away still.

Anyway, here is a new map I've been working on. I guess it's a commission of sorts, as it is for a friend who wants a map of her fantasy world and has told me the details, though I'm not charging her anything for it. The world currently doesn't have a name nor do some of the towns/places despite the fact that the world is mostly planned out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unnamed World Map.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	80615

This is the north half of the continent map and I've been working on the southern half alongside it. I'm pretty pleased with progress so far and depending on how well photoshop and I get along, I may try to give it a digital border of some sort. Obviously I'm still to add place markers and names, along with the title. I may also add some more shading to the forests and more details to the swampier area.

As per usual, it was hand-drawn in pencil and then the details were inked in. Done on A3.

Comments (and rep ) are most welcome!

Okay...so it's been about a year since I first posted this, though I doubt anybody remembers it anyway. The project died shortly after I started this WIP, but has recently been resurrected and I've started again this time working digitally!

Anywho, here's the first glimpse of the new piece. Plenty to change, plenty to add, but I haven't done a non-challenge WIP thread for a long time.

Name:	Kessor North Rough.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	93560

Ignore the sea lines going through the offshore rocky peaks for now...

Those mountains near shores are kinda odd. I would shrnk them down a little bit, which would show gradual elevation of land. Right know it seems like the mountains just pop out from sea without a land. Cliffs would be better maybe?

I know you just started, but somehow i find your old hand drawn map more appealing. Would like to see that one finished

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Those mountains near shores are kinda odd. I would shrnk them down a little bit, which would show gradual elevation of land. Right know it seems like the mountains just pop out from sea without a land. Cliffs would be better maybe?

I know you just started, but somehow i find your old hand drawn map more appealing. Would like to see that one finished
    Well, I think it's a little soon into to pass judgement on those mountains. There's still a lot of linework to go into them so perhaps when they're fleshed out a bit, they won't look so odd. Part of the reason I haven't done much to them is because I was possibly thinking of scrapping those ones anyway, or at any rate, they won't have coast lines going through them.

As for the old map. I liked it too, it was one of my first mapping attempts, and for various reasons not least of which is that I'm not actually sure where the original is at the moment, I thought redoing it digitally would be better. Plus it's more flexible when the world isn't completely decided upon yet.

Nonetheless, I appreciate the feedback, Voolf, but each to their own, hopefully you'll change your mind as it goes along.

I really like the coastline on this one, GLS

Don't tell me you also have a lost art chest in your house! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Well, I think it's a little soon into to pass judgement on those mountains. There's still a lot of linework to go into them so perhaps when they're fleshed out a bit, they won't look so odd. Part of the reason I haven't done much to them is because I was possibly thinking of scrapping those ones anyway, or at any rate, they won't have coast lines going through them.
    Maybe i wasn't precise enough. The problem is not the mountains, but how they are formed (as a range) on the land. If you are indeed going to redo coastlines that may fix the problem. Anyway, it is early stage, hope it develop nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Maybe i wasn't precise enough. The problem is not the mountains, but how they are formed (as a range) on the land. If you are indeed going to redo coastlines that may fix the problem. Anyway, it is early stage, hope it develop nicely.
    Yeah, okay, that makes more sense Voolf, though geographic accuracy was never meant to be an proper element on this map. Either way the offshore mountains have been scrapped!

Anywho, a quick update, hope you like this one better.

Name:	Kessor.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	93717

Those little callouts with zoomed in views of cities or prominent features is a fantastic tool to show smaller details in an otherwise large-scale map!

Quote Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
    Those little callouts with zoomed in views of cities or prominent features is a fantastic tool to show smaller details in an otherwise large-scale map!
    Thanks once again Hustle, though I can't really take credit for those, since Tainotim's work inspired me to do those!

Okay, here is the last update for a while, since labels and town positions, etc need to be worked out.

Name:	Kessor North White.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	93763

I also tried a very slightly textured version, so let me know which you prefer:

Name:	Kessor North.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	3.91 MB 
ID:	93764

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like the textured version better.

Also, I just wanted to say that it's pretty amazing to look at the original and the remake and see how much you've improved - your skills are badass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast