Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the City-kingdoms of the Haréshk - Atlas Elyden

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Default the City-kingdoms of the Haréshk - Atlas Elyden

A map I just finished of the City-kingdoms of the Haréshk and Tamar - the fourth of a series I'm working on for my Atlas Elyden.

The City-kingdoms of the Haréshk are relics of a feudal system, still known for their heraldry and duchies. The region is on the cusp of industrialisation and looks to the West and the Korachani empire with envious eyes. factories are beginning to appear on a scale as yet unseen outside of Korachan, and trade with more advanced nations is bringing a wealth of goods and information into the area. Unlike other pats of the world, which are afflicted by the world's waning, the Haréshk is an idyllic realm of rugged fields, rocky escarpments and clear water, something that the voracious empire of Korachan is not ignoring...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the Hareshk.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	4.10 MB 
ID:	80856

a lot more details can be found on my blog at www.vorropohaiah.blogspot.com.mt and my patreon at www.patreon.com/elyden

Fantastic work, as usual, Vorro. This whole project is just epic in every sense of the word!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Really lovely map! Love all the small details.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Just a comment about the labels. My opinion only, but I'd like to see the type that is letterspaced as All Caps or Small Caps, since lowercase letters begin to fall apart --- Arraton & Irsalliel are in my opinion too open, Dhamman is at that point of just starting to fall apart, while Forest of Reveries works, since it's not overly letterspaced. Did you do a study of all the type level you are using, that would be interesting to see how you came up with the division. Nice Job.

I really like this and I'm really curious on how you do them. Would you happen to have a tutorial to your name on how to make such maps? And what program do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Fantastic work, as usual, Vorro. This whole project is just epic in every sense of the word!
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Great stuff as usual!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clercon View Post
    Really lovely map! Love all the small details.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Just a comment about the labels. My opinion only, but I'd like to see the type that is letterspaced as All Caps or Small Caps, since lowercase letters begin to fall apart --- Arraton & Irsalliel are in my opinion too open, Dhamman is at that point of just starting to fall apart, while Forest of Reveries works, since it's not overly letterspaced. Did you do a study of all the type level you are using, that would be interesting to see how you came up with the division. Nice Job.
    Well I'm just fumbling about without much idea of what I'm doing, to be honest I looked at various atlases and saw that lots of labels, particularly nation names and large geographical features are generally stretched out with a wide kerning, so i replicated that. Look at the nation names and some of the features in this map: https://hogsheadwine.files.wordpress...05/0737120.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkin View Post
    I really like this and I'm really curious on how you do them. Would you happen to have a tutorial to your name on how to make such maps? And what program do you use?
    well I used photoshop, though i used another program called G. Projector to change an equirectangular map of my world to a projectionn suited to an atlas-style map (generally cylindrical, conic or azimuthal. I then trace over it in photochop

vorropohaiah; the map you posted from wordpress does indeed show letterspaced type, but if you notice the words that are letterspaced are ALL CAPS or SMALL CAPS, just trying to help, this is one of the cardinal rules for typography - there is even a book written about letterspacing lowercase letters called - STOP STEALING SHEEP. Hope this helps.

thanks, I downloaded the pdf, though can you provide any more insight? So if only the first letter is Capitalised I shouldn't space the letters?

Another excellent map in an excellent encyclopedic style. And looking forward to the next one !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast