Thread: Hello!

Default Hello!

Hi! My name is Synthea. I am fascinated by maps and enjoy drawing maps of imaginary worlds for stories and such. I am not online much.

I usually pencil sketch my maps and joined the Cartogarphers' Guild to learn more about making maps digitally, and just to see what else is out there after running across some really gifted mapmakers on an art site called Deviant Art. It was their links that brought me here.

Thank you for allowing me the pleasure to be in your midst.

Synthea Nyx

Banned User

Hello Synthea, Welcome to the Guild!

To get you started, there is a great tutorial in the sticky section of Tutorials, called
    Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4276

From there, go to
    Hand Drawn Mapping for the Artistically Challenged: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ad.php?t=10655

Once you have completed those two tutorials, you'll be well on your way!!

Welcome to the guild Synthea Nix!
    You sound like I was when I joined up here. I had never worked digitally before and I did find it frustrating at first because I could just draw something on paper so much better than I could in the computer. I would just encourage you to keep at it and you will eventually get to a point where you are able to create what you imagine just as well as you do on paper.

Don't be afraid to post your Work In Progress (WIP) in one of the forum areas and you will likely get some helpful feedback. Most of the people around are friendly and willing to help out a fellow enthusiast. And in the small case of nobody says anything to one of your WIPs don't loose heart, our guild is a huge area and there are some hallways that get missed from time to time.

Anyway, Have a blast poking around the site, check out the tutorials and the "How Do I?" threads if you need something specific and if it's not there don't be afraid to ask. If someone comes along who knows how to help you they will.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Thank you, Chick! Am having fun with these links and others in stickies!

Thank you so much! Your words are very kind--especially the ones about believing I do it "well" on paper! I am an artist more for enjoyment and because my memory works better visually, but my skill level in any medium is not very high.

Again, thank you for your welcoming reply!