Thread: Ruined tower map

Map Ruined tower map

I got sick of using drag and drop software to make battlemaps, so I decided to just start painting them instead. I'm used to a more cartoony style of doing things, so this is a little new.

Critiques and advice are most appreciated.

I think i need to find a better way of portraying tree trunks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruined tower.jpg 
Views:	317 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	80800

Nice, attractive style. I like it. Your tree trunks to get a bit lost perhaps but then they don't clutter up the map either. So I'm not sure.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

joeyballast,

Looks good so far, what programs were you using for the previous drag and drop work? The lighter color rocks could use some better textures, and more highlights in the grass area. Other than that, its a good start.

Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by darcycardinal View Post
    joeyballast,

Looks good so far, what programs were you using for the previous drag and drop work? The lighter color rocks could use some better textures, and more highlights in the grass area. Other than that, its a good start.

Darcy
    I can't remember what I used to try before now (it was a while ago) but i recently just tried using the roll20 maps and tokens and such. Drag and drop usually looks quite good (and it can be fast) but I like the look of a drawn map as opposed to an assembled one.

I agree about the rocky textures! I'm hoping to spend a bit more time giving them a tad more definition as well as the grass.

A good start, indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Nice, attractive style. I like it. Your tree trunks to get a bit lost perhaps but then they don't clutter up the map either. So I'm not sure.
    Thanks! I think when it comes to tree trunks they just need a bit more definition (perhaps roots, or a thick trunk?) Glad you like the style, though. I'm hoping with practice it'll get more detailed without losing anything.

A very nice start. What program are you using? I agree something should be done about the trees..

Nice work. The tree trunks look to much like more rocks. Couple things could change that, #1: yes make the base spread out a little, show the start of the roots.
    #2: Even though we all know that real tree trunks are seldom brown, we are all conditioned to think of wood as brown so shift the color of the trunks to a subtle brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    A very nice start. What program are you using? I agree something should be done about the trees..
    Thanks! I'm using Corel Painter and a tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Nice work. The tree trunks look to much like more rocks. Couple things could change that, #1: yes make the base spread out a little, show the start of the roots.
    #2: Even though we all know that real tree trunks are seldom brown, we are all conditioned to think of wood as brown so shift the color of the trunks to a subtle brown.
    Thanks! They do look just like the rocks, yes. The subtle brown is a good idea. I'll try it on my next map.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected darcycardinal's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by joeyballast View Post
    I can't remember what I used to try before now (it was a while ago) but i recently just tried using the roll20 maps and tokens and such. Drag and drop usually looks quite good (and it can be fast) but I like the look of a drawn map as opposed to an assembled one.

I agree about the rocky textures! I'm hoping to spend a bit more time giving them a tad more definition as well as the grass.

A good start, indeed!
    With hand drawn maps, you can really get a good custom feel, and there are certain things that drag and drop can't do as well. I find that drawing or at least planning things out on paper, scanning it and then editing in PS or alike is the best way to go.

Darcy