Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovecraft Country

Default Lovecraft Country

Here is a map I've done of 'Lovecraft Country' a weave of fact and fiction. See if you can spot the picture of Cthulhu in the map!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lovecraft Country_render_04.jpg 
Views:	1604 
Size:	964.6 KB 
ID:	80985  

Either, the server upgrade lost this one, you are totally messing with me, or you are missing an image.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Well, I can see it just fine.

The map itself is very nicely done--a clean style, with a fine period feel yet perfectly trim and readable. Some of the font choices seem more early 21st century than early 20th, but they work very well together. And I can imagine this took a great deal of work, in the researching and the fitting together.

One detail I would note: to an American eye, "m2" reads as "meters squared," which would make this a decidedly Lilliputian region. I assume you mean square miles, and "mi2" might remove the ambiguity.

Awesome map Ravells! The sort of rustic simplicity in the style, while yet having tons of details, really feels Lovecraft to me.

Great work.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Very fine map! Simple, clean, very good to read.

Thanks everyone! And especially to Sanderling. Interesting about your thoughts on the fonts. In fact the one I was using for the towns was late 19C (so a bit too early), so I've swapped it out for Rockwell which is more in keeping. Which ones do you think look too modern? I've tried to use fonts from the time but if they are giving the impression of too much modernity and killing the feel I can look at them again.

Best

Ravi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lovecraft country_19 Lowres.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	878.8 KB 
ID:	81006  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Ravs, this is incredible! I'm not a huge HPL fan, but every once in a while I'll delve into the mythos, and this nails the atmosphere perfectly.

I have two nitpicks, the second being incredibly small:

1. I think all the fonts in the title box look good individually, it's just that there's too many of 'em.
    2. The placement of 'Salisbury' near the top of the map: the 'Y' at the end perfectly overlaps the shoreline, and it's hard at first glance to see what's going on there. Maybe move the label slightly left or right?

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    1. I think all the fonts in the title box look good individually, it's just that there's too many of 'em.
    I'll just concur - absolutely fabulous map, I love it. There's just too many different fonts in the title box - five? Two styles should be your maximum imho, though I'll admit many contemporary publications were pretty dreadful about using a mess of different fonts, so maybe your approach is accurate!
    Last edited by Robulous; 03-09-2016 at 11:44 AM.

Beautiful work Ravs!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast