Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Feedback needed on Regional Map First Draft - Shattered (Extremely Novice WIP)

Okay, all good now. Nice forests, though maybe they could use some scattered trees around the edges so the edges aren't so smooth.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

Hi again,

Re-did the forests and added the rivers. I'm not much good at tapering my rivers but I gave it a go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map with forests.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	7.16 MB 
ID:	83459

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good to see you continuing, the rivers flow are all good. If I should comment on them it would be that they are all very wide, the black edge along them is a little strong and try blending in the color of them with the ocean where they end Great work so far
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the feedback.

I've reduced the bevel on the rivers and tried to slim them down bit. I did try using a gradient to blend them in a bit bit I couldn't get it to look right so I've left them as they were colourwise for now. I'll have to fiddle with that a bit more.

I've also added the symbols for citiies, towns etc.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map with forests.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	7.18 MB 
ID:	83485

Nice work!

I like the forests, can't say that about the town icons.. For some reason I find those ones yucky .. I usually like just circles and squares, maybe triangles.. I don't know why, maybe those relatively (very relative) complex ones are just harder for me to picture as cities, if you get what I mean. But yeah, just my thoughts, if you like them that's good and you can use them.

I think the ridges of those mountains just seem a bit too bright for my eyes, maybe try it a tad bit darker?

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

It's not just you Josiah, I posted something the other day, when I came back today, I had the same problem you are having here. I reposted and it worked, but I was going to contact an admin about it.

It looks like it's coming along, and unfortunately I can't give you any advice on photoshop, as I use cc3+. The only thing I can say about the mountains, is that they look a little too clean to me... to linear. It may just be photoshop, because I noticed the same thing in another mapper's thread. But mountains are bumpy, lumpy, rocky, disjointed... I don't really know how to explain what I'm trying to say.... maybe they are too thin? When you posted the three versions of mountains, the one I actually liked the best was the first version. But also realize that mountains are going to have valleys, and ridges, these seem too universal... but that's just my personal opinion, of course. Maybe I'm just too used to the way cc3+ works, where you place each individual mountain to form a range, and therefore you can create the valleys and ridgelines as you go.
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rivers looking much better. I must admit I'm with Josiah on the city icons - they are a bit dominating on your map, perhaps different size dots would be more appropriate for the "size" of your map
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Nearly done. I'd like to decide on a name for those mountains but everything else is done. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map ver 2.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	7.35 MB 
ID:	83665

To be honest, I think the mountains in the previous update were better. They blended with the terrain around them, these have hard edges which I don't find very nice.

Still those icons bother me, but all a matter of opinion.

PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Well, here's the finished map. I've put the mountains back to how they were before because I agree the new version did look wrong. I've named the mountains though I think the name label may be a bit large but it didn't show up well when smaller. I've left the icons on this map because I like them. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shattered map ver 2.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.12 MB 
ID:	83843
    Last edited by Becka S; 05-22-2016 at 07:22 PM. Reason: making map show I hope

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123