Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: March 2016 Challenge: Silver Hollow

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Thanks thormey, I wanted the background to be a bit more abstract for that exact reason!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
    Looks reeeally good... I'd be very happy if you could succeed doing an undergrouund city (not just a city).
    Thanks, Carnifex. I have to admit that was a concern of mine during the process of doing this. It is technically underground in a cave complex, but from the perspective and approach I've taken, it's always been just a city map in many respects. There's nothing really I'm going to do about that now and like I say, techinically it was always intended as a city under the surface of the earth, but I totally understand if people don't really think it properly fulfils what the challenge is asking for.

Okay, before I head off to bed, I thought I'd post another (very much) WIP on the overall map. Added a few more buildings, some of which I posted, others I didn't. Also a wall and a bridge which I literally just sketched in and haven't done much on yet, so don't rip them to pieces!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Hollow ROUGH.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	4.23 MB 
ID:	81462

Still plenty more work to do though, not least the blending of all the buildings into the background. I've already added a bit of haze on top of them, but also plan to make their connection with the ground more uneven as if they have been build on an actual surface and not just thrown in. Obviously plenty more buildings to add to this city first though.

I agree with Thomrey on how I wasn't sure how the first picture was going but now it looks great. It's a very interesting style (which I like) and I am looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. Keep it up!

This reminds me of the main city in Fairyland Below, from Catherynne M. Valente's series. I'm enjoying your progress on this.

I couldn't tell at all where this was going at the beginning, but apparently it was to a very fun style. Definitely a vary fairyesque vibe going on.

Okie doke, I have not had anywhere near as much time as I was expecting to work on this over the last couple of days, so I don't know if it will be completely completed by the end of the challenge...

But still, I've got a day left and I'm going to try!

Thanks Chashio and Falconius for saying so. I didn't really think about that until you mentioned it, but yeah, I guess it is kind of a fairytale-esque style.

Anywho, if I don't get around to doing anymore to this before the end, here is the most up-to-date version and in many ways is very much towards a final piece anyway!
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Silver Hollow Temp.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	4.81 MB 
ID:	81799

Ooh Nice update.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

It's been a while since I've looked at this but I gotta say GLS that I love it! Great job!. I love the buildings and the great stair that leads to the tower. I love the way you composed it and gave us a story to go with it.

Okay, it could be better and a bit more polished perhaps, but it's half midnight here and I want to go to bed! So here is SILVER HOLLOW in all her cavernous glory:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Silver Hollow Finalish.jpg 
Views:	360 
Size:	4.84 MB 
ID:	81828

Thank you to everyone who helped me along the way with their constructive and kind comments!

I hope you like it. It certainly grew bigger and bigger and more time consuming and the end week just flew by without me able to work on it much! Anyway, enough of the idle sleepy talk, decide for yourselves whether you think it fulfils the challenge criteria or not; regardless it was a good learning experience for me making a map in a different kind of style.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123