Thread: The Newbie-Newbie (TWICE the newbie in just one noob!)

Default The Newbie-Newbie (TWICE the newbie in just one noob!)

Hello Everybody!

I'm new to cartography and new to this forum. That makes me a Newbie-Newbie and gets you TWICE the newbie goodness in just one simple noob!

I'm a tabletop gamer and have always had a great love of game world maps. So when I started working on my own material recently, I just couldn't wait to start mapping everything I was writing about. Imagine my surprise at the discovery of how demanding making your own maps can be!

After going it alone for a while using various basic, usually free and online, software, I was starting to get frustrated. Thankfully, I ran into this GEM of a website and have been sorting through the amazing quantity of quality tutorials for several days. I figured if I was going to be lurking your forums so avidly, I should at least have the decency to JOIN.

I have a VERY basic understanding of GIMP, but figure that it is my best bet for getting started on this cartography thing without having to buy anything. That being said, if you have any other suggestions on where to start, or want to point me towards the best GIMP tutorial for a Newbie-Newbie like myself, please do so with my thanks.

I'm aware of the Quickstart Guide to Fantasy Mapping and Hand-Drawn Mapping (for the Artistically Challenged) as they've been mentioned in other introduction threads. I also have seen some of RobA's tutorials (which look AWESOME) but I'm afraid it will be above my current GIMP proficiency, as RobA warns about that.

Alright, time to go to work! Thanks for reading!

Banned User

Hello Mixerbach, Welcome to the Guild!

Since I don't need to tell you about those two starter tutorials, I'll just sit back and wait to see your first posted map

Oooh... I don't know, Chick. That may be a while. The company (yourself included) is pretty intimidating 'round these parts. :-)

One good piece of news! I played around in GIMP tonight and it wasn't nearly as disastrous as I had predicted! I was even able to fix some things that weren't turning out right as compared to the tutorial I was following! All in all, a very encouraging first evening at it. :-D

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Don't worry Mixerbach, they won't bite (well most of them anyway!)

I too was a newbie-newbie not too long ago and I guess I probably still am to a degree. Just keep at, then when you're ready (or when you're not) just post something up if you want to. Believe me, their is nothing like knowing that you're doing something that other people like as well as you to keep you motivated in doing it. And even when the critiques do require work, you just have to remember that we're all just trying to help each other get better at what we love doing!

Anyway, good luck with the tutorials and I hope you post something. If not, no worries, there's still plenty of advice to be found without!