View Poll Results: Do you have background muisc or silence when working?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Background Music/Noise

14 66.67%
  • Silence

7 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Background Noise or Silence?

I need something, anything in the back ground (well, not Country Music, so ALMOST anything )
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

I'd say that either works for me. It's more about motion for me. I tend to set up a zone for myself and get a bit territorial about it, if somebody is in that zone it bothers me, and if they are talking to me without reguard for the personal space around me (even if it's to yell from another room) it can bother me. But as long as I'm ignored and no direct attempts are made to engage me I'm good.

However there are times that a mood setter or a work rythme are appreciated. Like this mapping challenge I have a definate idea to work with and while I hadn't thought about it before I'm now thinking that the song Space Lion from the cowboy bebop soundtrack could really make it move faster and excite my creativity centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingjack View Post
    However there are times that a mood setter or a work rythme are appreciated. Like this mapping challenge I have a definate idea to work with and while I hadn't thought about it before I'm now thinking that the song Space Lion from the cowboy bebop soundtrack could really make it move faster and excite my creativity centers.
    Oooooo... good song and a great soundtrack! I also have the third Cowboy Bebop soundtrack, Blue, which is also great background music.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

I'm ambivalent about it so I'd rather comment and not vote. When doing verbal stuff having anything on with people talking tends to annoy me to no end. When drawing I'm rather partial to turning the radio on. My musical tastes? Rather eclectic since beggars can't be choosers: I can go from Classical (Beethoven's 9th) to Pop (Mika's Lollipop) with some punk fado (Deolinda) in between Of course after a few hours I have to put down the headphones and go for a walk
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities, truth isn't."
    -- Samuel Langhorne Clemens a.k.a. Mark Twain. (1897) Following the Equator.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Classical or jazz when working on something tricky. Pop when working on something dull and repetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I need something, anything in the back ground (well, not Country Music, so ALMOST anything )
    I dunno, a song like Black Soul Choir or The Boy Who Hoed Corn would be fun to map to.
    World of Sathis: my Cooperative Storytelling Project.

“It’s become apallingly clear that our Technology has surpassed our Humanity”

Oh that's right I forgot to mention my some what ecclectic tastes. I have a large collection of early ninties rock, on cd, I have bostons classical music station on the radio, an a substantial collection of Irish folk and pop music all over the place.
    I've got some Eva Cassidy (her time after time and feilds of gold are awe enspiring) Loreena McCennet (sp?) I especiially like bonny portmour, and mummers dance), a few Enya (boadica is good for the darker or brooding ideas).

It's funny that there are occasional moment where I'm sitting on my matress on the floor reading Neitzche, with Vivaldies seasons playing on the radio and I have this realisation that... I'm not normal. I mean I know I'm not normal but you suddenly just realise how differant you are.

Like walking through corn mazes with my six year old neice, and discussing the plaques that have clues and trivia on them, you find yourself admitting you have a favorite marsupial. Or on a discussion of symbols and art you admit you have a favorite platonic solid.

I'm not normal ... and I think I'm okay with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dracontes View Post
    I'm ambivalent about it so I'd rather comment and not vote. When doing verbal stuff having anything on with people talking tends to annoy me to no end. When drawing I'm rather partial to turning the radio on. My musical tastes? Rather eclectic since beggars can't be choosers: I can go from Classical (Beethoven's 9th) to Pop (Mika's Lollipop) with some punk fado (Deolinda) in between Of course after a few hours I have to put down the headphones and go for a walk

Oh, this is about electicy now?

Some of my favorite genres include hip-hop, post-hardcore, alternative rock, chiptunes, ambient, neofolk, noise rock, power metal, symphonic music, pop and progressive rock. I don't mind some world music every now and then either.

Heh.

WHAT MIKE LIKES: http://www.last.fm/user/gowienczyk, warning though; my about me is a bit egotistical and pretentious.
    World of Sathis: my Cooperative Storytelling Project.

“It’s become apallingly clear that our Technology has surpassed our Humanity”

I definitely need music to help me focus on whatever I'm working on... I have a part of my mind that goes here and there so it prevents me from looking through the window all the time and so on...

I have rather eclectic tastes so it ranges from rock, metal, electronic music and so on to traditionnal medieval music, to weird thing such as Fantomas, Mr Bungle and the like...

When doing the dishwashing I usualy put on some ska punk things, when working it's usualy rock 'n roll oldies or psychobilly and so on. When mapping, well... depends on the map
    Back to business

Generally I prefer silence as there are already too many noises/conversations going in my head, but if I'm not working on something that requires a lot of concentration or problem solving I like to have a little noise in the background generally music.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast