Thread: November Entry: Galactic Planetary Directory: Khuutath

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steel, I like the image. It could just about pass for a new Master of Orion encyclopedia entry.

The text, though, isn't all that readable. The glow runs all the letters together and the black typeface, even with the glow, doesn't stand out from the background.

I'd suggest concentrating on doing your art inside the typeface. Beveling, texturing, etc inside rather than outside. That way the font lines remain clear. If you use an outside glow (no outside bevels), use a very subtle, soft effect to offset it from the background... like a drop shadow of sorts.

Trek's LCARS interface, for example, doesn't use any effects. Just various pastel colors against black or black against pastel.

And FWIW, I actually liked the original planet the best <embarrased>. It reminded me the most of Dune.

edit: I could see the font working as is, but against a background of the same color as the glow/bevel. That way it would look a little like one of those plastic label makers. Though your theme would start to take on a lower tech feel (maybe put a few patches and scratches on the interface).
    Last edited by Bedwyr; 11-20-2008 at 12:30 PM.