Thread: First try at cavern battle maps

Default First try at cavern battle maps

Hi guys (& gals!)

I'm just starting a VTT campaign and need to generate some underground caverns. I did a bit of online research and chose GIMP as my weapon of choice. After a bit of experimenting (and downright plagiarising!), these are my first few efforts.

Currently, there is no descriptive text (for player or GM). I'll add that later. I just was hoping for some feedback (good or bad) on what the players will see. Specifically about whether the solid walls need the extra darkening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underground Thoughfare Cavern 02.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	97988

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underground Thoughfare Cavern 03.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	200.2 KB 
ID:	97989

First - Welcome to the guild! Your maps look great so far! I love the way you've given the illusion of height differences. I suppose if I had to nitpick about something, I'd say that your top-layer parchments seem blurry to me, and it kind of distracts from the clean lines and shading you've put into the cavern detail.

Looking forward to seeing more!

-IG

Quote Originally Posted by industrygothica View Post
    I'd say that your top-layer parchments seem blurry to me, and it kind of distracts from the clean lines and shading you've put into the cavern detail.
    I used a "soft light" filter on the top layer. Perhaps if I just darkened it?

Or do you feel that I should change the texture altogether? Maybe a stone texture or similiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadan View Post
    I used a "soft light" filter on the top layer. Perhaps if I just darkened it?

Or do you feel that I should change the texture altogether? Maybe a stone texture or similiar?
    Honestly, I couldn't tell you. I've always been a fan of parchments, so... Just keep playing with it, it'll get there. And post updates!

-IG

Yes darker is good, but our eyes don't like to look at blurry images, it is visually distracting. So, even though it is underground/inside the rock where no one can actually see it, the map would look nicer if it were in focus.

Default Caverns

I’m just starting out and the caverns are clearly the most challenging. Nice work. Cities aren’t bad, dungeons are manageable, and worlds are buildable. I haven’t found the right software for caverns yet. I use Mac so I can’t use the same software you used I don’t think. Caverns almost need to be done freehand. Any suggestions for Mac users?

Quote Originally Posted by westford111 View Post
    I’m just starting out and the caverns are clearly the most challenging. Nice work. Cities aren’t bad, dungeons are manageable, and worlds are buildable. I haven’t found the right software for caverns yet. I use Mac so I can’t use the same software you used I don’t think. Caverns almost need to be done freehand. Any suggestions for Mac users?
    I think Partha has a Mac version of 2.10
    https://www.partha.com/

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi!

A statement first! GIMP is PERFECTLY fine for underground caverns, it is just to learn how to mould it into one. I agree with the others. The blurry texture messes with one's senses. That said, this is a good start.

This is an underground cavern map I did JUST in GIMP, just to show it is more than possible. random free underground cavern.
    For this one, I used Mouse's very cool free texture.

Step one, paint in BLACK, or any solid colour, where your rock is going to be. On one layer. RIGHT click on layer up in right corner, and choose ALPHA To Select.
    Two create another layer above that layer, drag an drop Mouse's texture in there, or any you want. But, one with nice random detail. (You can also, resize the texture to your canvas and copy and paste it in IF you don't want to risk random lines popping up, can happen.)
    Three use that first layer you painted on. Still in alpha to select. Click on the SELECT tab and click on Grow Selection. Grow it by 2.
    Throw in a Dark almost black brown into the selection. Remember, this layer is just below your texture layer.

Four create a layer below all your other layers and throw in a paper or ground texture.
    Now shadows are EXTREMELY important. It gives the 3D look. PICK a side your imaginary light is coming from on the map. And start painting in shadows. Or use the Drop Shadow effect on the TOP layer or second to top layer. (Though be aware this effect has the very frustrating effect of increasing your canvas size. So best do the shadows by hand.)

Shadows and Highlights! Yays. Hehe
    Okay for doing shadows, I would suggest creating a layer just below the second to top layer. (Definitely under your texture layer) (Use multiply mode)
    Now with a SOLID BLACK or VERY DARK brown. Having picked from where the OVERALL light is coming from, just ignore that we are underground for a moment. Paint with ROUND brush where there would be shadows. DON"T TOUCH OPACITY. After you painted in your shadows, lower the ENTIRE layer's opacity to around 50% or higher. Just need it nice and dark.
    Try that and see if you can figure it out. Don't be afraid to ask.

For the way I did the whole 3D slopes of the rock. Well, that is next lesson. It involves quite a bit of more advance techniques.

Hope this helped some!
    Don't be afraid to experiment, and definitely don't be afraid to ponder on feedback.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19