Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mar / Apr 2016 Lite Challenge: Compass

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the mithril compass is probably the better of the two of I had to decide.

Posted mobile using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Both amazing

I really like the more definite structure of the Mithril one.
    What bothers me is the too high Julian power of the "helmet wings" (looks like the feathers on Asterix´ helmet), which leads to the deviation in "spikes" vs. "wings" count.
    Could you try to reduce it, so it fits the count of the outer spikes ?

How is the inside made ? Hyperbolic and cylindric ? (I´m still learning, just being curious)

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhöggr View Post
    What bothers me is the too high Julian power of the "helmet wings" (looks like the feathers on Asterix´ helmet), which leads to the deviation in "spikes" vs. "wings" count.
    Could you try to reduce it, so it fits the count of the outer spikes ?
    No. It is a hybrid fractal - the spikes are done by another formula than the center. Besides when the dominating Julian power is reduced , other shapes change in an undesired way.
    I am sure that there are other transforms that could be tested to tweak farther but I was already happy when I found that.

How is the inside made ? Hyperbolic and cylindric ? (I´m still learning, just being curious)
    2 simple Julians and a composite (Julian + linear + rays3) . First Julian has a very dominating weight (18 )

Yeah, I feared already that tweaking the Julian could wreak some Havoc. Shame on you, maths! Well, the difference in spike counts is not obvious at first glance, so I'd go for the looks, too.
    I am curious about how a metallic texture would look with the Mithril Rose as bump Map.

Gesendet von meinem MotoG3 mit Tapatalk

Guild Artisan

Quote Originally Posted by Nidhöggr View Post
    Yeah, I feared already that tweaking the Julian could wreak some Havoc. Shame on you, maths! Well, the difference in spike counts is not obvious at first glance, so I'd go for the looks, too.
    I am curious about how a metallic texture would look with the Mithril Rose as bump Map.
    It looks nicely
    And changing a part of a fractal while leaving other parts unchanged is the ultimate challenge in fractal art. Even with much experience it generally fails ...
    Fractals are the best way to create bump maps. At least when you are in 2D. In 3D it's better to go to directly to 3D fractals (have a look on the 3D examples I posted above).

Guild Artisan

OK so by public acclamation I choose the Blue Mithrill Compass as my final.
    I cleaned the background and made some minor changes to be sure that it can be easily used and incorporated in a map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mithrill compass.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	3.25 MB 
ID:	82493

### Latest WIP ###

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Looks really cool Deadshade! I unfortunately missed most of these threads develop, but fractal art can look fantastic and it's makes for a pretty neat compass.

I have to say though, that on closer inspection, I can't help but feel slightly creeped out by it, because my mind took me straight away to imagine it composed of lots of wings from some creature... Still look cool though!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234