Thread: Spelljammer deck plan: Elven Warbird

Default Spelljammer deck plan: Elven Warbird

I couldn't decide which board on the WIP forum to put this in, I don't think it truly fits in the sci-fi/modern board, this is probably the closest fit.

I've never created a canon Spelljammer ship before, but that's what Louis Porter Jr. asked me to create for the next Stock Armada deck plan product (maps as stock art for small publishers). He shot me over some illustrations of some Spelljammer ships, and I opted to try to do an Elven Warbird. I found 2 differing illustrations. A recent one by Scott Schamburg that showed more roof structures on the fore and aft of the ship, and fins on the side. An older illustration depicted the bridge area without a roof structure. I opted to combine the 2 designs to cover the aft, include the fins, but expose the fore end of the ship. This is just the top deck, showing the open bridge and the open boarding deck below. I have all the interior decks yet to do. (Work-in-progress).

Of course using my photo-realistic style using Xara Designer Pro x11, as always.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elven-warbird-spelljammer-deck-plan.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	557.7 KB 
ID:	81642
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Since as a part of Stock Armada I have to create 4 versions of the deck plan (for publisher variety), I'm thinking this one is the typical Warbird, I might do one with more of a faerie queen version - exotic colors, flowers and vines, a battle damaged typical ship with tears in the sails, damage to deck and the hull, and the final version I'm calling the Autumn Warbird - dead brown leaf sails, little to no green in color, dead leaves on the deck (even though there aren't trees to shed them) for a haunted ship for a crew of banshee.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

I stated that I need to make four versions of my Spelljammer deck plans, and that one of the versions was to be an "Autumn Warbird", or the undead version crewed by banshee instead elves. Before moving on to the other decks, I got inspired and decided to do the autumn version at the same time. What do you think?

GP

Name:	banshee-warbird-spelljammer-deck-plan.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	81643
    DrivethruRPG store

Here's 2 alternate decks - I only changed the sleeping chambers and observation/galley deck furnishings for the differences (I've yet to do the autumn version). One alternate is for human pirates who are more comfortable with hammocks and require cooked food, so has a stove. The second alternate are for larger races (Giff, maybe?) who can only fit one bed per room and prefer actual beds. Also the captain of the ship has taken over the aft chamber making it a proper captain's quarters. Also more security conscious they place lockable doors for each chamber, instead of leaves, even having a door at the cargo ladder to prevent unauthorized access to the cargo deck.

The Spelljammer people tell me that since elven ships are alive, they offer certain advantages over other ships and are sought out by non-elven races, especially pirates. This justifies the need for alternate decks and sleeping arrangements.

GP

Name:	warbird-alternates.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	82441
    DrivethruRPG store

Guild Applicant

Default Man-o-Wars rock!

What a great ship rendering! The "undead" version had never even occurred tom e. Great concept and visualization!