Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Town of Rook WIP

I feel your pain on drawing straight lines, I cann't do it. I use a Wacom tablet and pen, but struggle to get really straight, so I too use the pen tool. The line tool also works well, that how I draw my houses in different sizes. I think your buildings look good with the jiggly line though, except for the more detailed tile roof. Good luck it will be interesting to see what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    I feel your pain on drawing straight lines, I cann't do it. I use a Wacom tablet and pen, but struggle to get really straight, so I too use the pen tool. The line tool also works well, that how I draw my houses in different sizes. I think your buildings look good with the jiggly line though, except for the more detailed tile roof. Good luck it will be interesting to see what you do.
    I also use a Wacom tablet, Bamboo Capture, which is wonderful. I don't have a single complaint, the performance is perfect (I've never used a different tablet, perhaps I'd notice it if I tried a different one). Though it would be handy if there were more buttons, but oh well. I'm sure practice makes perfect for straight lines.

So the client really liked the antique parchmenty look, so I made it even more antique and parchmenty. This might be the final antique version, but I'll also do a colour version as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rook Town_antique.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	5.34 MB 
ID:	84064

I'm quite happy with it. Let me know what you think!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Regarding the lines thing, there are simple exercises you can do for improving pen control. They are really basic and probably a bit boring (drawing various types of lines - a circle, straight parallel lines, wavy lines, etc) but they do help a lot in my opinion.

Also from the looks of it I would guess you are probably drawing your lines quite slowly. I find I get much straighter lines if I use quick, confident strokes. That's where the practice helps.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Regarding the lines thing, there are simple exercises you can do for improving pen control. They are really basic and probably a bit boring (drawing various types of lines - a circle, straight parallel lines, wavy lines, etc) but they do help a lot in my opinion.

Also from the looks of it I would guess you are probably drawing your lines quite slowly. I find I get much straighter lines if I use quick, confident strokes. That's where the practice helps.
    Totally agree - I've done/do those exercises.
    And also agree that after doing those it is easier to do a quick confident stroke.
    It takes a lot of training to do long slow strokes without error.
    Plus you improve speed with quicker strokes.

Looking great so far. And yes, Larb's recommendation is quite sound.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Just realized I didn't respond here.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post

Those exercises sound quite good. I should probably start doing them. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Totally agree - I've done/do those exercises.
    And also agree that after doing those it is easier to do a quick confident stroke.
    It takes a lot of training to do long slow strokes without error.
    Plus you improve speed with quicker strokes.
    Yep. It's funny how doing something as simple as drawing a straight line can be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Looking great so far. And yes, Larb's recommendation is quite sound.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks Arsheesh.

I've posted the final version, which is basically the same as the latest version here.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...192#post305192

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234