Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild World Map - Community Challenge

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I just wanted to actually 'say' it - this is all for the fun of doing it.
    I was going to put little national shields or symbols with each nation name.
    If people want to make some shield or heraldic symbol of state to add to their country, we can do that.
    If it just sounds like more work - we don't have to do it. Just an idea of something lighter/smaller.
    Do you have any guidelines or template for this re the size and shape?

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    You know I'd DEFINITELY be up for designing a shield/banner/etc for my dudes.
    Excellent!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Nobody was expecting differently ;D

I'd be up for that too, sounds great, if it doesn't need to be any specific shape. I'm thinking some kind of rock/bone/plants totem.
    Great. No, it won't have to be any special shape. I do need to work out the size first. It would just need to be saved as png with transparency for easier placement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    I did that late last night just after the cut off. Every latest map (land areas) from everyone is in there. Its not a problem to update the maps if people stick to the same image size and shapes. The only ones that are a lot of effort are the ones where people take a photo of hand drawn ones so I have updated them a bit infrequently. But I did make sure that last night those were at latest too. Luckily we only have about two or three of those out of the 50.

I did the sea but its not all that great so if anyone wants to do one then by all means go for it. I need to touch up the sea around Max's land as there are some islands there that have moved from the originial land and I used the world map and noticed they were out at the end.

I'm uploading at 4096x2048 but if you want one at a different res then let me know. Its hard to upload one single image much bigger than that but if robbie can enable it with Java etc then I can easily do a bigger one using the google styled leaflet.js

If people want a movie uploaded to YouTube with a fly past around it at higher res then let me know as thats also quite easy. At this stage without lots of smaller maps embedded into it, I am not sure what thats going to give you. But once we have regional maps too overlaid on top then its pretty cool. I have been doing that with Falconius's map already since he did the island as a sub map on his main image.

If I export it at current 4K res then the map res at snodsy / Max area looks like the little unclickable one shown but if I export at 16K by 8K which is what it would be for the leaflet js map then it would look like the larger clickable image. Its a lot better but bear in mind that if you embed cities on to it then they are then still going to look really small even on that. But for the world map it would look great. Also, I do have a script in place already that could allow links from the main leaflet map to the city map attachment. I'm just not sure how to embed a leaflet map directly into our bulletin software but as a stand alone page or embedded frame its pretty easy to do.
    That's awesome Redrobes I'm glad you jumped on this. It would have been a lot more work for me doing it all manually.
    I'll see if Robbie can let us do something large. The large version looks great. Details are pretty clear.
    Thanks Redrobes - this saves me so much work... so that I have time to do stuff like this
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RR ale 01a.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	453.3 KB 
ID:	82783
    Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Do you have any guidelines or template for this re the size and shape?
    No special shape, but I do need to work out a size for it. I'll get to that today.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-21-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Now THAT'S a brew!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Its not a problem to update the maps if people stick to the same image size and shapes. The only ones that are a lot of effort are the ones where people take a photo of hand drawn ones so I have updated them a bit infrequently.
    Ah, sorry Redrobes, I was hoping I'd be able to scan it in to make it easier by now, but I haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks for all the work you've done on it though!

Hope my hand drawing wasn't too much trouble! I plan to have the final one this weekend.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Thanks Redrobes - this saves me so much work... so that I have time to do stuff like this...
    Ah man thats so cool. So very cool in fact that I think I will wear that image for a while - maybe forever !

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Now THAT'S a brew!
    Chin chin everybody !

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Ah, sorry Redrobes, I was hoping I'd be able to scan it in to make it easier by now, but I haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks for all the work you've done on it though!
    Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Hope my hand drawing wasn't too much trouble! I plan to have the final one this weekend.
    Its not too much trouble to do the hand drawn ones. In fact I really like the hand drawn stuff and they look a lot like the maps I used to do when I DM'ed. And I'd be stuck too if I drew something larger than A4. So no worries, just keep going as you have done. When I import a map I need to make the mask for it. With a digital map people have the same sized image they upload so the mask stays the same. So updating one of those is just click on attachment, save it, rescale and import it and it updates into the composite. With hand drawn one I need to recreate the mask each time. Luckily tho all of the hand drawn maps are essentially islands or peninsulas that mostly stick out into the sea. So for that mask all I need to do is ensure I am well over the cliff / beach parts and include more than I need. So its not that bad. My app is cut out for this compositing tho and makes it easy so thats why I volunteer for it. I know just how hard it would be to do it in any other format like say photoshop. With photoshop I would think you would have to clip or mask every version every time. Shudder !

I do like these community projects and really enjoyed CWBP 1 and this anniversary one. CWBP 2 fell a bit flat come the end tho. I always wanted a world that people mapped and mapped and kept adding to like some gigantic open source thing. When we come to the cities we can put them all on as well and any underdark regions too. Hey we should take one big city place in the world and divide up the city into blocks and let each person map a block. Hmm never thought of that till now. We have always all mapped different cities....

I must speak with robbie about that leaflet thing. Looking at the full res composite is very nice.

I always wanted a world that people mapped and mapped and kept adding to like some gigantic open source thing. When we come to the cities we can put them all on as well and any underdark regions too. Hey we should take one big city place in the world and divide up the city into blocks and let each person map a block. Hmm never thought of that till now. We have always all mapped different cities....[/QUOTE]

Yes.
    I would enjoy seeing that occur. I know that people get fatigue with any given subject though, so I won't be disappointed if/when that happens.
    I love that idea of dividing a city. We'll have to do that. Yes we will.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-21-2016 at 09:56 PM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've already touched base with redrobes about the leaflet app and coming up with a way forward on displaying this masterpiece. I think it's a great idea.

Posted mobile using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast