Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Map 05 - Lands of Nahadua [J.Ed land]

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Axaomer of the Aplaspect
    The horror.... the horror...

I agree - the horror of map addiction. There must be a cure, in our lifetime.
    This map is getting ridiculous - note to self - don't put so many cities in there.. at least not so close together.
    All that, and I still have tones of rivers and other little bodies of water to do... plus color.
    Ahhhhg, then theirs little history bits and other assorted sundries... too deep... too much.
    I'll have to stop soon for a bit but just hoped to stop with just color left. The horror... indeed!!!
    Anyways, here's the current update. Lots of new stuff. I also change/corrected roads and territory boundaries.
    Finished mountains, added some texture to non-mountain areas. Added a few landmark icons - opinions may vary on these.
    More curve land feature names. Not sure I like the curved water names.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World Map - JEd country 05 - update22.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	82915
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-24-2016 at 03:05 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

First off, a round of applause for finishing the mountains! Spectacular
    Second, I love how it looks with all the city names. The coasts are really densely populated, looks very realistic. I like your way of showing the mountain peaks. Torn on the curved sea labels, it is the way I would have gone for but I'm also so used to seeing this with straight sea labels so it looks odd this way… Which is an absolutely unhelpful comment, I know

Awesome. There is in this map so much work and techniques that i can't be something else than admirative. The city color is a bit too fade imo, but it is just to had a comment ...

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    First off, a round of applause for finishing the mountains! Spectacular
    Second, I love how it looks with all the city names. The coasts are really densely populated, looks very realistic. I like your way of showing the mountain peaks. Torn on the curved sea labels, it is the way I would have gone for but I'm also so used to seeing this with straight sea labels so it looks odd this way… Which is an absolutely unhelpful comment, I know
    That was sort of how I was feeling about it - having been looking at the straight labels for so long.
    I was thinking about it after I posted this... in the finished map, the title text is going to probably be placed elsewhere, as is the scale. So maybe when that happens I'll change or try something different with some of the water labeling. I have the intention to do some stuff that fills those areas outside of my country so it doesn't look so empty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    Awesome. There is in this map so much work and techniques that i can't be something else than admirative. The city color is a bit too fade imo, but it is just to had a comment ...
    Yep, some have said this already. When I do the color version, as painful as it may be, I may end up changing some text color and also the color of the city dots... maybe.
    I know that in the color version, those dots are going to fade out even more, so it is something I'm thinking about.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I agree - the horror of map addiction. There must be a cure, in our lifetime.
    This map is getting ridiculous - note to self - don't put so many cities in there.. at least not so close together.
    All that, and I still have tones of rivers and other little bodies of water to do... plus color.
    Ahhhhg, then theirs little history bits and other assorted sundries... too deep... too much.
    I'll have to stop soon for a bit but just hoped to stop with just color left. The horror... indeed!!!
    Haha indeed. In fact as I was laying cities into my map so jooyfully I said to myself "now hold on don't put as many cities as J Edward put into his map, because that's crazy.

The fact is though that this map is crazy good! The mountains, the cities, the landmarks, it is well on it's way to becoming a masterpiece.

Personally I like the curved water names because the curve sort of indicates the area of water it's intended to cover. With flat names that doesn't happen.

My only quibble would be the line style choices between roads and borders which are very similar and so can get confusing. I know that this map will definitely garner accolades here at the guild, it is soooo good.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 04-24-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    My only quibble would be the line style choices between roads and borders which are very similar and so can get confusing. I know that this map will definitely garner accolades here at the guild, it is soooo good.
    Yep, that's another thing I thought about and couldn't decide on.
    I finally went ahead and made paths for all the territory borders with the pentool, so changing the style wouldn't be a big problem.
    So maybe that will get a tweak in the color version too.

So this thing is getting a lot closer or done.
    I'm pretty sure all text is complete, barring new stuff for outer areas.
    The national symbol is more a placeholder right now.
    ### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild World - Nahadua 01b sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	4.54 MB 
ID:	82947

I'm pretty sure I've already mentioned this, but the contours on the mountains are fabulous. You've got an interesting naming convention going on here as well. I find this to be one of the more laborious and time-consuming aspects of map creation.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looking damn lovely, and kudos for your text about name shortening... and the fromage... gotta love that
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast