Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nesarian Empire

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default The Nesarian Empire

Hulloo there!

Now that my Tesset Gallí map is done, I've begun work on a new map, this time part of my novel world again. I'm focusing on the divide between the two main continents on my world map. I'll call them Brascia and Yurwein (although they have many different names in many different languages). The western part of Brascia has already been covered in my maps of Aran & Ilan (the most recent one of which you can find here). South of that lies the ever glittering Silver Sea, in the south bordered by the Yurwein continent. The Silver Sea is open to the west, but narrows towards the east into a series of Marmaris-like seas and straits until it reaches a huge inland sea called (not too originally) the Nesarian Inner Sea. Yes. I know. I gotta work on the names.

But that's for later! For now I'd like to show you some maps of the region I just talked about, and my progress on the Nesarian Empire (which is situated around - I know - the Nesarian Inner Sea).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nesarii_georef5 (1).jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	229.5 KB 
ID:	82231
    The world map

Name:	Nesarii_georef5_transv-merc-sph (1).png 
Views:	79 
Size:	355.0 KB 
ID:	82232
    A zoom on the Inner Sea (Transverse Mercator Projection, with the kind help of G.projector)

Name:	Nesarian Empire1.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	433.6 KB 
ID:	82233
    A first shot at detailing the coasts, and some quick 'n' dirty sea colouring.

Not too much to show yet, but it gives you an idea of where this is going. I'll be applying the style I explored in the Tesset Gallí map again, with lots of yummy mountain ranges, deserts (which I still have to work on a LOT before I get them anywhere near decent) and forests (which I'm getting the hang of, but some progress wouldn't hurt).

Since this is in such an early stage, I won't be listing up a "still to do". Because that would be everything.
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 04-08-2016 at 01:36 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Looks like you are off to a lovely start with this one. Always look forward to seeing another one of your maps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Maybe interesting to share: my world map is actually an evolved version of something I did way back in 2012 (check this page), which in turn was based on... the foamy pattern I found in the sink while shaving! Yes, silly. Back then I was really looking for inspiration on map shapes everywhere, and shaving foam was as good a source of inspiration as any. I had completely forgotten about the origins of my world map until now, actually!

But now that I've found the old thread back, I discovered two things: (1) the general land shapes have since evolved into something more plausible, which is good, and (2), less good, I seem to have lost many of the rather interesting looking islands and lakes along the way. You know what? I think I'm gonna go back to the coastline layer and scribble in a few. Just because I can.

Also: the name I invented for the inner sea back in 2012 apparently was "Sapphire Sea". Which isn't supermega original either, but it has a nice alliteration going - and it beats "Nesarian Inner Sea" by a long shot.

Who'd have thought: inspiration from discontinued maps. Based on shaving foam.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Cool to see more of this world, and more of the Tesset Galli style! And that old thread of yours was very enjoyable. I also see maps everywhere around me. Must start taking more photos if it leads to this quality of work

Gee thanks Lingon! You're making me blush! 😜 So you're a fellow victim of the horrible cartocacoethes disorder 😁
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 04-08-2016 at 04:01 AM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Hahaha, so that's the name of my condition! Maybe we'll need to start a support group?

I like it already. Cool stories, cool coastlines...and your new awesome style...what can go wrong! Looking forward to this thread.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

Hello,

I like a lot the general shape of the land masses, and the color of the seas are very beautiful in my opinion. I look foward the next updates!!

Yay! Another map from Caenwyr

Looking forward to see it develop.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Yay! Another map from Caenwyr
    I love that enthousiasm! I only hope I'll be able to deliver .

Below is just a small update, with some more islands and lakes to keep it all interesting. Redid the sea colour as well. Sea squigglies are coming next!

Name:	Nesarian Empire2.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	499.6 KB 
ID:	82501
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast