Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cadurca (temporary name) WIP

As I drowned my own thread in a sea of belated comments on others thread, I'll up mine and I beg your pardon for it

The forums are running really fast at the moment. I've lost track of about 20 other threads as well as this one! LOL!

I really like the new colours

Thanks for bumping that I noticed it before and then got distracted.

That is awesome, Thomas! I really love what you did this one or are doing, as it were.

Thanks Sue, I tried to take everyones proposition into account.

Thanks Chashio, I plan to add a few more celtic knots in the corners, it'll need a title and some icons and labels. It's not done

Wip

I showed the map to my wife who thought it was a bit too creepy (that's the goal here). So I played a little bit with colors and made two other versions just to see what it would look like. It's amazing how colors set a mood.

I'll keep it red but the middle one makes me think of a north atlantic setting and the third, more carribean is pretty pleasing too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cadurca triple.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	95390

Very nice to see these different versions. Apart from the forests you didn't change the color of the land, right? I think the last, caribbean one would look even cooler if you made the grass slightly more green/lime-ish. But this is a very nice map in general!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Oooh, looking nice Thomas! I remember you starting this and thinking how cool the red sea was, but the new colour is just deliciously, bloodthirsty! (Uh oh, I think my vampiric tendencies are showing through... )

Your triple selection is really great to see, though I think the middle one shows off all the lovely details the best, especially with the sea squiggles. Also, I reallly like the touch of the cloud in the top.

I prefer the middle one, but maybe that's because I live in a temperate zone

And yes - colour is far more powerful than most people generally appreciate

Celtic knots are really cool... I think my favorite kind is the stuff with the animals tied into it [someone told me the name of that just yesterday, I think, and I have forgotten ]. Anyway, I love the border on this and look forward to how you do the corners

I like all three of those color schemes... especially the first two... Daniel could be right about a bit more green on the third though I'm not entirely sure that's the thing [would have to just try it and see, I guess].
    Thanks for sharing all the experiments... it's inspiring seeing all the color possibilities next to each other [I accidentally opened three tabs before I realized they were all on the same image haha ] The different moods give me ideas on what sort of place they represent/evoke. Hmm... that could be kind of an interesting challenge sometime.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    Very nice to see these different versions. Apart from the forests you didn't change the color of the land, right? I think the last, caribbean one would look even cooler if you made the grass slightly more green/lime-ish. But this is a very nice map in general!
    Thanks Daniel and you are right, I did not change the land, I fixed this on the third map.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Oooh, looking nice Thomas! I remember you starting this and thinking how cool the red sea was, but the new colour is just deliciously, bloodthirsty! (Uh oh, I think my vampiric tendencies are showing through... )

Your triple selection is really great to see, though I think the middle one shows off all the lovely details the best, especially with the sea squiggles. Also, I reallly like the touch of the cloud in the top.
    Thanks Greg ! The bloodthirsty feeling is not quite right. A witch living in the northern swampy plateau called the Unland spread fungi in the waters corrupting the land.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I prefer the middle one, but maybe that's because I live in a temperate zone

And yes - colour is far more powerful than most people generally appreciate
    Yeah, the middle one as some proud mood to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Celtic knots are really cool... I think my favorite kind is the stuff with the animals tied into it [someone told me the name of that just yesterday, I think, and I have forgotten ]. Anyway, I love the border on this and look forward to how you do the corners

I like all three of those color schemes... especially the first two... Daniel could be right about a bit more green on the third though I'm not entirely sure that's the thing [would have to just try it and see, I guess].
    Thanks for sharing all the experiments... it's inspiring seeing all the color possibilities next to each other [I accidentally opened three tabs before I realized they were all on the same image haha ] The different moods give me ideas on what sort of place they represent/evoke. Hmm... that could be kind of an interesting challenge sometime.
    I agree, celtic knots are a blast but they're quite difficult to draw, even imitate. The animals are on their way, in the corners and at the bottom of the map. I'll try to add them newt week.

I'm glad to give back some of the inspiration I took from your work I'm not sure if I'll make several settings with this map or the same setting at different times or some dimension shift.

The map was the second I worked on so it was a real mess layer-wise. I tried to tidy it a little bit and realized that my forest shadow layer was at the bottom. I moved it on top of the forest color and the maps went way more lively so here's a small update.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Triple bis.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	95419

Maybe not much of a change to your eyes but, to me, the forests came to life.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast