Thread: Maps of the North American Jianghu - WIP and First Time Mapper

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Wip Maps of the North American Jianghu - WIP and First Time Mapper

Welcome. This is the starting WIP for some maps for an upcoming project I will be starting. I was originally just going to do a basic political faction map of the amalgamated tribes of the North American Jiang Hu but from fiddling around the past week I decided to make a more complex map. I was encouraged to post this WIP even though there are several aspects I am not happy with.

The end goal of this completed map in a month or two will be a mix of Asian and Native American styles. This map is not yet in that state but I wish to achieve an effect that blends NA tribal styles with Asian wuxia aesthetics. That's the vibe of the stories.

Not happy with:
    1) Originally this was going to be a basic politically faction map but I grew to not like these colors with all the other detail. I think I will split off a separate political map of the tribes with the colored shading.

2) I am not sure how to resolve all the style differences yet. I am using a mix of free PS brushes, photos that I turned into black and white icons and several fantasy map style tutorials. It doesn't achieve my desired effect but I working on it.

Things to do:
    1) Trade routes. I have a basic idea for this but have to implement it.

2) Bordering. Some of the contest maps here have amazing bordering. I intend to work on that.

3) More insets. I absolutely love GamerPrinter's Ukiyo style icons. For this setting I feel like I will be using them forever.

4) Splitting this clustered map into several different map pages. I don't like this look atm. I want to try to do a simply political map, a shaded landscape map with monuments and some infographics and inserts to provide information spread throughout.

Any tips and advice and criticism is greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JianghuTribeMap2.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	883.5 KB 
ID:	81184
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 03-15-2016 at 10:00 AM.

Still a work in progress but I'm getting closer to the style I am looking to achieve. Greatest appreciation to GamerPrinter for his Ukiyo set that I have used on the inserts.

EDIT:

I like this one better:

Name:	4e6lVSV.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	817.9 KB 
ID:	81225
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 03-16-2016 at 03:24 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Well, I like the viginettes, and the concept is interesting, but how did Yakima end up south of the Columbia River and more near to the Oregon Coast?

I like the second map much better! I think you have a few issues, though you mention many of them in your first comment.

I think, before you go much further, you might want to give some thought to your layout. You have an awful lot of empty space towards the right of the map. Is that going to be filled out? If not, you might want to consider shrinking things down and moving things around a little. Your insets are quite spread out, yet the top left one appears to overlap some of the map elements. I feel that there must be a better and more pleasing way to lay things out.

I think it would be worthwhile dedicating some time to this before you do anything else, and your map will be much stronger for it. I've plunged in without forward planning many times and it's generally a time-consuming mistake in the long run.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Well, I like the viginettes, and the concept is interesting, but how did Yakima end up south of the Columbia River and more near to the Oregon Coast?
    Mostly because of lack of sleep at the time; that was the last thing I added before I made that post

In my current WIP version I have that corrected. Thanks for the comments. Greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I like the second map much better! I think you have a few issues, though you mention many of them in your first comment.

I think, before you go much further, you might want to give some thought to your layout. You have an awful lot of empty space towards the right of the map. Is that going to be filled out? If not, you might want to consider shrinking things down and moving things around a little. Your insets are quite spread out, yet the top left one appears to overlap some of the map elements. I feel that there must be a better and more pleasing way to lay things out.

I think it would be worthwhile dedicating some time to this before you do anything else, and your map will be much stronger for it. I've plunged in without forward planning many times and it's generally a time-consuming mistake in the long run.
    Thank you very much for this. Since this is a bit of a Frankenmap that grew out of a much simpler initial plan, there was never a layout but more just an evolving set of experiments and goals. I do intend to fill in the blank space but at the moment I am undecided between putting all the vignettes on the right (which was my original plan) or filling in the map with more details (which I started to move towards doing instead). You're right though. I should work out my modified layout plan before I do anything else today.
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 03-17-2016 at 02:42 PM.

Latest update incorporating all current elements. Trying to iron out the lore and everything. Still a WIP.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	NDIrNEo.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	541.7 KB 
ID:	81422
    Last edited by Southern Crane; 03-22-2016 at 03:11 AM.

Blog Entries

I really like where you have taken this. I love the theme of East Asian mixed with Native American style. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Since I can't find who sent me reputation, I would just like to thank everyone here for the feedback, comments and tips. I greatly appreciate it and hopefully this week I can update these projects again. Thanks again to all

Just popping in to say that I \ like your choice of style, which matches your Asia/Native Amerian theme very well, especially in the illustrations of individual places. I'm also really interested in this world you're creating, and I hope to learn more about your worldbuilding/stories.