Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Map of the Dawn Republic

House is as good as finished, i stuck to simple colors - ill probably make some minor edits, like changing the materials of the main house structure (i don't like the grainy effect i added in.) and probably add some flagstones to the corners of the barn and change the window above the door to a round one with crossbeams.

i might also make a square window variation so i can start using this as a base to build a bunch of variations on this model.

So, i'm not there yet; but i'm still happy with the progress I've made on it so far. :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FTOrXqM.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	82944

the model doesn't look like it has any big glaring errors, and anything small will probably not be visible anyway at the smal scale they'll be ending up being on the map. (probably something like half the size the image thumbnail appears in this post.)

Quote Originally Posted by Phanues View Post
    House is as good as finished, i stuck to simple colors - ill probably make some minor edits, like changing the materials of the main house structure (i don't like the grainy effect i added in.) and probably add some flagstones to the corners of the barn and change the window above the door to a round one with crossbeams.

i might also make a square window variation so i can start using this as a base to build a bunch of variations on this model.

So, i'm not there yet; but i'm still happy with the progress I've made on it so far. :

Name:	FTOrXqM.png 
Size:	382.0 KB 
ID:	82944

the model doesn't look like it has any big glaring errors, and anything small will probably not be visible anyway at the smal scale they'll be ending up being on the map. (probably something like half the size the image thumbnail appears in this post.)
    Keep it bro!! stay focus

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe.. nice little houses, makes me once again wish that I could work in 3D
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by candice88 View Post
    Keep it bro!! stay focus
    Thanks - i'll keep working at it, this is good practice on 3d modeling for me too after all.

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    hehe.. nice little houses, makes me once again wish that I could work in 3D
    It's actually the same house, just rendered from different perspectives and the 2 renders stitched together in 1 image file.

It does take some time getting used to 3d Modeling, but learning how to work with the program(s) isn't as hard as it might seem. Personally i learned the basics from a 10,5 hour long video training tutorial from DigitalTutors.
    It only took me the better part of a week to get through it all and follow along with all the lessons.
    I'm still very much a newbie at it as well - i try to make as much time as possible to watch tutorials and making sure to also work along with them, you learn the most by doing things yourself; instead of just being shown how to do them.
    That said, it does take time and dedication - it's probably pretty hard to stick with it if it's not something you enjoy doing .

Anyway, on to the main show - the Finished Model :

I added in a bunch of textures, swapped out the front window for a round one, and created a square window at the back of the house. (like i said before, i can make countless variations using all these individual pieces.)
    Here's an image showcasing the house, rendered from 3 different angles :

Name:	oow2yzx.png 
Size:	862.7 KB 
ID:	83003

I decided to share it here under the CC-A-NC-SA License.
    So if anyone here wishes to use it for their (non-commercial) works, go right ahead. If you wish to use it for commercial purposes though - contact me first.

And here is a video showing off a 360 degrees rotation around the house (though i used a lower quality renderer for this, otherwise it would have taken ages to render out. )

Blog Entries

Actually had a weekly class in 3D Studio Max for 3 months 20 years ago - huge program - still remember some of the tool menus where 3-4 screen high. Figured out that I wasn't going to use that afterwards, simply to much work. ... I tried to use sketchup a couple of years ago, but didn't really take the time to get to know it. Maybe I'll try again when the kids are bigger or I win the lottery and don't have to work anymore For now, I just enjoy others work and yours is looking good
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::

Actually had a weekly class in 3D Studio Max for 3 months 20 years ago - huge program - still remember some of the tool menus where 3-4 screen high. Figured out that I wasn't going to use that afterwards, simply to much work. ... I tried to use sketchup a couple of years ago, but didn't really take the time to get to know it. Maybe I'll try again when the kids are bigger or I win the lottery and don't have to work anymore For now, I just enjoy others work and yours is looking good
    I hate when life gets in the way like that
    I don't have any experience with 3DS Max, though i do have some with Maya, another Autodesk product.
    The difference between the 2016 version and earlier ones of the maya program are huge, the program is a lot easier to use now if you compare it to say the 2013 version.
    I'm sure things have gotten better on that front with 3DS max as well, considering there's been 20 years worth of updates. :p

If you are ever interested in picking it back up, autodesk offers a lot of it's products for free under an Educational License, including both Maya and 3D Studio Max, you only need to register a free account with their site to grab it. : http://www.autodesk.com/education/free-software/all
    obviously, the educational license means you can't use it for "commercial, professional or any other for-profit purposes" without buying a full license, which is quite expensive, but the student version should suit you just fine if you're only interested in getting back into 3d modeling.
    They even offer a learning path for you to follow along with.

Other then that, there's always blender which is open source and free to begin with. https://www.blender.org/
    They also have a similar section filled with tutorials : https://www.blender.org/support/tutorials/

Wip

Finished another building, a tower, in the same vein as the house i made earlier, though i did skimp a lot on details and took some shortcuts. (the rooftiles for example are not their own objects like with the house, but instead just a texture + bump map overlaid on the shape.

pretty basic stuff for this one - it's basically a cone put on top of a cylinder with some textures added in. the door/window wasn't hard to make either; I think i spent 3 hours, maybe 4 on this in total.

Name:	W5QNWzw.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	83070

And again, this particular render of the object is free to use for non-commercial purposes for whomever so chooses in accordance with the Creative Commons license.

Edit : I stitched together the renders and put them on the map to get a feel for what it'd look like. keep in mind that since these are just stitched together renders from individual scenes, the lighting/perspective is a bit off.

Name:	zAsxXe4.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	368.2 KB 
ID:	83071
    Last edited by Phanues; 04-26-2016 at 07:48 PM.

Blog Entries

That looks really good and fits the map much better too. The roof on the tower is perhaps a bit dominating
    regs tilt

That looks really good and fits the map much better too. The roof on the tower is perhaps a bit dominating
    Yeah, i did notice that. Luckily the coloring on textures is very easily fixed - but that's something that'll have to wait until I've completed my base components and are ready to actually combine some structures into a single scene, so i can catch it all from the same angle with the same lighting settings.

If i did it right now, i'd still have to make adjustments for my final scene anyway, so i'd be doing double work, and i'm spending enough time on these already

Here's the render of the objects i finished today : a crenelated tower and a (section of) wall. These will serve as components to build my forts and/or city walls with.
    Some changes i think i need to make to this before it's finished :

- Change the material/color on the 'struts' supporting the top part of the tower/wall to make them stand out more
    - Add frames around the arrow slits to make them more visible
    - ad flagstones to the tower corners, similar to the house in one of my previous posts.

Name:	bFp0Unt.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	83098
    Last edited by Phanues; 04-27-2016 at 08:25 PM.

because i procrastinate a lot i didn't get a lott done these last 2 days, though i try to at least finish one object a day.
    finished touching up the towers, and created a very basic well/fountain structure :

Name:	MsjzmV9.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	240.9 KB 
ID:	83171

If all goes well i'll be able to make a slightly larger villa-esque structure tomorrow, and use the building blocks i've created so far to actually put together a town icon or two.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast