Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making planets, moons, and suns in Photoshop

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept

I wish there were some sort of "Translate Photoshop Lighting Effects to GIMP Lighting Effects" chart somewhere. Other than that, the Select > Color Range is the only thing that strikes me as an immediate problem.

Haven't had much time to play around with the concepts though and really I am a GIMP neophyte. I'm sure Bryguy or RobA would have those answers readily available.

Guild Novice

Wow, awesome! I have Lunar Cell, but find it lacking for anything that may require a close zoom-in. (Although it makes better clouds than I can make on my own so far.)

-waystar

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Having used both programs I would say that the Threshold slider is the equivalent to Fuzziness.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Having used both programs I would say that the Threshold slider is the equivalent to Fuzziness.
    yea i have have the cs4 trial, and so i brought up both gimp and cs4 and tried it out on both, and threshold is the best you can do for it. I would say set the threshold to about 50-100, because most anything higher than that selects almost the entire image.
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

hmm, after experimenting all day, i cant seem to figure out a good way to make a sun

oh well, i was bored and made myself a planet tho

p.s. I just love my clouds dont know why, but i do
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wolrd.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	813.1 KB 
ID:	8074  
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

Guild Adept

The clouds are awesome. Cool pic.

Wow. Just wow. Awesome tutorial. I repped you for it - well deserved.

Once I have a decent world map to start with, I'm SO making a planetery view of it. Now to get decent results on my continents...

Playing with your continental tut, and RobA's as well, to see what I like best. It'll come in time. <sigh>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Thanks, mate. Don't push yourself too hard to come up with your own style...mine has taken about 5 years to develop.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Just an update. I went through the tutorial using a combination of Gimp 2.6.2 and Photoshop Elements 2.0. While I wouldn't call the results as "pretty" as Ascension's, I was able to pump out a reasonable barren planet picture.

Thanks Ascension.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Hey, looks pretty good. Glad to see you were to able to adapt this and be flexible with it.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast