Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Making planets, moons, and suns in Photoshop

There's a few problems with your tutorial. It's missing some pictures. for instance. 4g. "it should look something like this:" there's no picture. It's not a huge deal to me. I've used guides often enough but I'd figure I'd point it out.

Also in your tutorial's you mention:
    "At the top of the screen where it says “Select” click there. Select > Color Range = use the black with a fuzziness of 200. Hit the Delete key then deselect."
    However I'm using CS4 and I don't have a "black" option. Here's a pic of what I do have.

and this for the drop down options. (Also note the if I select any of the drop down options I can't set a fuzziness. It blanks it out like "range".)

I also have another problem. My results always look different then your's. Here's a comparison picture.

***My Result***

***Tutorial Result - Same step***

As you can see the results are very different, color's aspect. I used the same hex code and everything according to the tutorial (I even analyzed according to the supplied pictures)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color Range.png 
Views:	452 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	17470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Color Range 2.png 
Views:	432 
Size:	66.9 KB 
ID:	17471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my result.png 
Views:	414 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	17472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	your result.png 
Views:	470 
Size:	256.7 KB 
ID:	17473  

Here is what I have after the "Rocky World" part of the tutorial. It doesn't look too bad but I'm still annoyed by the lack of color deviation around the mountainous area's. I followed every part. The only thing I can think of is the "color range" differences. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong there.

*** Look at the area around the white caps <_< ***

Same thing happens with your Atlas Style map tutorial. I don't get that extra color variation detail around the mountainous areas. It's annoying.

Don't get me wrong. I love the tutorial's but that snag is causing some grief.

Name:	Rocky World.png 
Views:	250 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	17474  
    Last edited by ShrannBeldworf; 10-07-2009 at 03:36 AM.

I think I figured out the problem. There was a step missing. Or maybe it's an extra step with CS4 Users. On Step 4L on the mountains layer set the "Layer Blend" to Hard Light. With that extra step in CS4 you'll get a similar result in the tutorial. check the picture out. It looks almost identical. If you want a steeper look on the mountains just add a second lighting effect. (second picture) Personally in comparison I'd stick with the first picture result.

Name:	result with hard light.png 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	17479   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steeper look.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	17480  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Lots of stuff there to digest. As for the select - color range thing, in CS it defaults to the color that you have as the foreground color so I don't know what's different in CS4 (I don't have it). As for the variation in color, it could be due to my or your monitor, probably mine as I set mine to be brighter than most people and the pics are screenshots...so that might be the culprit. It seems that you found a work-around and I'd say that you did a fine job with that. The part about missing a step I will look into. So how's the planet look with the new color tweak?
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I had to go to work shortly after that last post so I didn't get a chance to post it.

The First picture is what it looks like now.

Second picture was "without" the hard light (It probably looks different to each other in general because I did the tutorial multiple times.)

The missing Hard light might have just been an oversight. Because in the earthlike section of the tutorial it was mentioned on the mountains layer. I would also like to mention that the same issue happens on the "Atlas Style" tutorial. But now that I know, it's no problem.

Name:	Rocky Planet 2.png 
Views:	419 
Size:	566.8 KB 
ID:	17501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rocky World.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	17502  

And here is an Earthlike planet. Thanks to your killer tutorial. I'll probably use the tutorial over and over again until I can do this stuff in my sleep (well hopefully not in my sleep, might be restless) Also here's a sun to go with it.

Name:	Terran planet.png 
Views:	370 
Size:	620.2 KB 
ID:	17503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sun.png 
Views:	297 
Size:	702.2 KB 
ID:	17504  

Once you can do the main land and stuff by memory then the rest is cake...so that makes it fun and fast. Nice job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Just wanted to drop my 2 cents in here and say this is probably your most fantastic tut ever, Ascension.

Thanks, man

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

have only skimmed the tut, but it looks damn good - fantastic work ... I bestow upon you a single point of rep pushing you steady towards the 1000
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast