Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Akaos

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    That's lovely, arsheesh. Very empty and evocative of cold, windswept plains...
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Nice. I like how the map rides the border.
    And the pine forests are a win.
    Thanks, I drew inspiration from the forests on some of his work, so he deserves credit here.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice work Arsheesh. Like Diamond, I like the feeling of emptyness. Coastlines could have used a bit more details perhaps.
    Thanks Max. Yeah I agree. I'll spend a bit more time on the coast lines in my next map.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Very nice composition and treatment of the elements, shows what you can do with just a few elements, nice labels too.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
    This is absolutely beautiful, in a muted sort of way. Moody, sparse, with a sense of great expanses which many maps never quite convey. Bleak and windswept, indeed.

Looking at this in detail, I like just about every element--the color and shapes of the forests, and the clear distinction between deciduous and coniferous trees; and especially the mountains and hills. Ordinarily I don't like sharp, pointed mountain-ridges, but these look great.

I assume your client supplied you with the names? I notice the cities are "Bantho" on the western shore of the Me Mievnoke Sea, and "Batho" to the east, and I'm assuming that difference is grounded in the setting.
    Thank you kindly. Yes the client did come up with the names (in fact he's a linguist by trade). Oops, that was a typo, thanks for catching it. I'll have to send my client an amended version.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    good work! the pine forest are awesome indeed!!
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    I second what everyone else said. Reminds me of the relatively simple style of the Barrowlands.. love it!
    I'm glad to here it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Beautifully drawn. I'm not such a big fan of the emptiness, personally I'd have tried to fill out that space with something, small illustrations, maybe swirling gusts of wind. Budget and client permitting, of course It's a wonderful style either way, great bleak colors, and I love how those pine forests surround the mountain peaks
    Thanks. Yeah I too felt that there were large expanses of emptiness that could have had more detail added. I asked my client about this and whether there were any other terrain features he wanted added, but he didn't mention any so I just kept the expanse empty.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement everyone!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Well, everyone else has already said everything so I'll just chime in to say I like the way you did this piece and to say congratulations on the completed commission work.

Absolutely gorgeous work, Arsheesh. I rather like the empty spaces. They work well with the cool colour palette and give the impression of wild unpopulated lands, ready for adventure!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Fantastic piece, Arsheesh! The subtle color palette and shadings is gorgeous. I'm a bit bothered by the coasts : I mean, I love the shadings but it's a bit strong for a map of this scale I think (like if there was cliffs a bit everywhere).

Awesome map! The forests & mountains are really cool!

While i really dig the style (very good mountains, good forests as well), it looks too empty to me. It looks like an unfinished map. Now i admit, all that might be intentional (Edit: and it seems it is)
    Do we even know if it is supposed to be bleak, cold and windswept plains?
    And now i am wondering what kind of rpg that is/will be
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

A bit late to the party here, but a solid looking map here Arsheesh!

In some ways the less detailed coastlines just add to how sparse the land is and have a strange jarring affect. (Though I'd still prefer more detailed ones I think)

The map makes me shiver though, not just at how cold it looks, but also at those creepy, deformed feet-like shapes you have for the islands in the top right! They do look great though!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    Well, everyone else has already said everything so I'll just chime in to say I like the way you did this piece and to say congratulations on the completed commission work.
    Thanks very much!

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous work, Arsheesh. I rather like the empty spaces. They work well with the cool colour palette and give the impression of wild unpopulated lands, ready for adventure!
    Glad to here it ChickPea.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Fantastic piece, Arsheesh! The subtle color palette and shadings is gorgeous. I'm a bit bothered by the coasts : I mean, I love the shadings but it's a bit strong for a map of this scale I think (like if there was cliffs a bit everywhere).
    You have a point Ilanthar. This was a latter addition because the map felt a little flat and two dimensional. The coastlines was a bit of experimentation to try to give it more depth. I'll have to play around with this a bit more and see if I can figure out a way give future maps more depth while simultaneously keeping them more true to scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    A very fine map!
    Thanks so much Sapiento.

Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    Awesome map! The forests & mountains are really cool!
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    While i really dig the style (very good mountains, good forests as well), it looks too empty to me. It looks like an unfinished map. Now i admit, all that might be intentional (Edit: and it seems it is)
    Do we even know if it is supposed to be bleak, cold and windswept plains?
    And now i am wondering what kind of rpg that is/will be
    I don't know a whole lot about the RPG myself. In this part of the world though the coastline surrounding the Me Mievnoke Sea is the cradle of civilization. There are a handful of smaller towns and settlements spread out along the river-ways, and a few up in the Northlands as well. However from what I gathered the rest of the a land seems to be wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    A bit late to the party here, but a solid looking map here Arsheesh!

In some ways the less detailed coastlines just add to how sparse the land is and have a strange jarring affect. (Though I'd still prefer more detailed ones I think)

The map makes me shiver though, not just at how cold it looks, but also at those creepy, deformed feet-like shapes you have for the islands in the top right! They do look great though!
    Thanks GLS!

Thanks again everyone for all the encouragement and advice.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Wow ! A wonderful work. I especially love the long shadows cast by the hills on the plains. It's almost as if the sun was forever setting, some sort of arctic eternal twilight. I really love it !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12