Thread: Plausible Distances & Populations

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Plausible Distances & Populations

I know I'm nit picking but I tend to worry about the distances between towns and if the land around them is plausible to support their populations. I like to draw as much as I can from the geography of a map so when I make one I try to put some thought into it.

Along those lines I found a great website about Herefordshire

http://www.smr.herefordshire.gov.uk/...m#makes_a_town

Its very approachable and has some good info. This seems like a coherent little snapshot of medieval town development.

Chiefly, I'm looking at the little map attached to this post.

The first map is from the Herefordshire website and the second is from wikipedia. So you can see where in England it came from. Herefordshire was a center for the Anglo Saxons and Alfred the Great. It bordered the Welsh and has its own illustrious history that I will largely skip over. I'm going to try and concentrate on physical map elements.

Sigurd

There are many on this site who know far more about this that I do. Someone living in Herefordshire is probably reading this right now . I appreciate gentle correction and considered opinions. I've never spent any time in Herefordshire. I'm putting this together from websites and google. My apologies for mystakes or false assumptions. If you want to pontificate on this region and what it has to teach us about map making, you too are welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map_medtowns2.JPG 
Views:	131 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	7733   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Herefordshire_outline_map_with_UK.png 
Views:	121 
Size:	270.7 KB 
ID:	7734  
    Last edited by Sigurd; 11-12-2008 at 12:41 PM.