Thread: [WIP] First map, hand drawn style

Wip [WIP] First map, hand drawn style

Hello
    I decided I've been creeping in the shadows of the guild for long enough and thus this first post. It is not a first map per say, but it is by far the largest project I've ever started.

About the technical side, I started on a quite large scale, 9000x7000px, and will probably downsize soon, as my computer does not appreciate this large a scale. The goal was for the map to be large enough to eventually end up as a big poster on a wall.
    So far it is only the continent base and some mountains and those are not finished by far. I used Schwarzkreuz lovely brushes (thank you!).

I will appreciate any comments and/or advice. Thanks
    P.S. Sorry for any mistakes, English is not my first language

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress 1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	5.19 MB 
ID:	82866

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Looking really nice Sarapuc! Your mountains are quite steep individually, but as a whole still work very well with the details you've put into them. Especially where they blend into smaller ones and more hilly areas!

Your land shapes also look very good and natural!

Also, you speak a lot better English than a lot of people that I know who have it as their first language!

Thank you!
    I am aware the mountains are very steep. If it was an atlas-style map or something similarly realistic I would consider changing them. As it is hand drawn style I think I will leave them as they are, only I will try to make tham fit a bit more by adding more smaller hills so it is not so pronounced.
    The only problem I see is in adding forests, as everything will seem out of proportions.

I don't think you need to change the mountains either, it was just an observation.

As long as your forests are clearly smaller than your mountains then proportion shouldn't be too much of an issue. Do you know what forest style you're going to go for? Also, it would be good to see some rivers on it too!

I was thinking something minimalistic, maybe some stylized simple symbols.
    The rivers are coming I have them sketched roughly and as soon as I finish with the mountains, it will be their turn. I can post the progress then. It is always good to have someone to check if there is something running up the hill or something

Well, I can't promise anything, but I'll try to keep on eye on things as they progress!

I look forwards to seeing where you take it!

Default Finally some progress, yay!

Alrighty, I finally had time to work on this little baby again. I appreciate any comments or advice

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	progress stromy.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	3.17 MB 
ID:	93336

I just want to say: awesome map so far!

Thank you!

Beautiful map! You have a nice stroke style!