Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Apr / May 2016 Lite Challenge: Roman Cohort Military Encampment

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    Really cool artwork you've made. A single thing stood out a little, hyphens weren't used at that time, or actually it was used to connect to separate words as one meaning but on the same line, so I'd drop the hyphens in the text .... and never hyphen with just two letters if you can in any way avoid it as a general rule pet peeve
    Cheers Tilt. Don't worry, before it is finished I was going to sort it out, but I thought if I'm re-arranging stuff at the mo, it would just be a hassle. I too hate breaking words across two lines!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonnichiwa View Post
    I love this idea! Your artwork is fantastic on this piece! I can't wait to see it finished! But I had thought about doing a military encampment too so you may have some competition from me if I can actually get started
    Thanks Tonnichiwa! Come join us, it'd be great to see what you come up with. Perhaps, we'd spur each other on with ideas!

I'm glad I'm not the only one that HATES hyphenating words!!! Of course, I admit I'm a bit of a language nazi. Here, you have the river police... at my house it's the grammar police! My boys hate it, but that's what they get for having a writer for a mother, and an English teacher for a grandmother!!!

This map is coming along nicely! I can't wait to see it finished. *Sighs* I'm beginning to think my map is way too simple for this talented group!
    Last edited by ladiestorm; 04-29-2016 at 11:48 AM. Reason: grammar
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Ladiestorm - there is nothing as "to simple for this group" - competing in the challenges is about honing your own skills, learning new stuff, but most importantly - having fun .. I've participated tons of times and as you can see - no compass - still joining the challenges though cause they are fun to do, and we're all friends here anyway
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

@Ladiestorm, yeah I can be a bit like that with grammar and words sometimes, but it's mainly because I love sentence structure so much! As for your other point, Tilt summed it up perfectly, and my entries vary from being fairly good to okay, but even though I haven't won one yet (or even come close to winning), I still try to push myself and feel I've come on so far since starting! I'm sure you'll find the same will happen to you, without you even realising it!

I'll try to post an update sometime soon, but have been so busy these last few days so haven't had any time to even come on here much, let alone work on it.

Oh, I realize that... And I actually already have learned a lot! But my gift, is primarily with words, as, GLS, you have seen. I was never much of a visual artist. And these pieces of art seem to come so easily to all of you, and k owi g that a lot of you actually hand draw your maps? I'm very impressed!
    Like a thief in the night
    she comes with no form
    yet tranquility proceeds
    the accursed storm...

check out my new Deviant Art page!
    https://www.deviantart.com/ladiestorm

Okay, I haven't updated this in a while, because I haven't had much time, but I thought I better give an update. Not too much has changed, but I've messed around with colours a bit more, there's a gladius now, plus a few labels.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Battle Encampment.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.66 MB 
ID:	83265

I like what you have GLS, very clean and consistent. But I may be partial, I love roman stuff .

Very nice, you said you did this all digital, so how did you get that real nice inky look? It looks great!

I love the idea of a roman camp too.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

@Ilanthar, thanks Ilanthar. I've not really done much Roman style stuff before, but have to say I'm liking it a fair bit too!

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Very nice, you said you did this all digital, so how did you get that real nice inky look? It looks great!
    Aha, you see that's a trade secret!

Nah, I got a decent inky-style brush, then tried to make things look a little rougher than they could be. I also, turned down the flow a fair bit too. I'll try and find the brush set if you want it?

That was the style I was going for, so I'm pleased you think it's coming across! Thanks, Josiah!

It's looking good, GLS, and I'm looking forward to your next update. Love that sword!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast