Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A nice surprise

Excellent work, love the style. Welcome to the Guild!

Hi Bogie, thanks for that. You have some excellent renderings there - it's the sort of digital work I could only dream of emulating. Bockingford watercolour paper, an 0.3 technical pencil and some professional grade watercolours are my armoury but I have a huge respect for those like yourself who can illustrate on screen.
    Last edited by Roger Mann; 04-25-2016 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Bad spelling

That's some beautiful work Roger.
    And Katherine is a worthy heroine, to be sure.
    I can empathize with what you were saying about using aerial reference and sat images.
    I just did a map for a client where I was having to use google street view to get better references of buildings as they did not provide me with much in the way of aerial shots.
    Then they tell me that this and that has changed and can I edit that... with what reference? I asked... then they provided some images they'd not shared before. Ugh.

That map hasn't been posted yet but I think you'd appreciate it. It's not quite to your level of accuracy though.
    I didn't see a link to any website of yours - do you have one? Would love to see more of your work.
    Cheers,
    John

Hi John, thank you for your kind comment. It seems that we have similar challenges when in comes to reference. Google street view has been essential for me where aerial reference has been patchy or out of date. I find Bing aerial is more current than birds eye but gives no oblique view. Google Earth has some very useful 3d imaging on the larger cities and is normally the most up to date. Street view fills in the gaps and is usually quite current but not always so the headaches continue. Par for the course then.

I don't have a website for this work as almost all my map work has been for one client and I'm hoping to diversify before building a site. However, if the admins are happy I'll be glad to post a selection of town and city maps as an album (is that the same as a portfolio here?).

It would be nice to see your map that you mention - let me know when it's posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Mann View Post
    Hi John, thank you for your kind comment. It seems that we have similar challenges when in comes to reference. Google street view has been essential for me where aerial reference has been patchy or out of date. I find Bing aerial is more current than birds eye but gives no oblique view. Google Earth has some very useful 3d imaging on the larger cities and is normally the most up to date. Street view fills in the gaps and is usually quite current but not always so the headaches continue. Par for the course then.

I don't have a website for this work as almost all my map work has been for one client and I'm hoping to diversify before building a site. However, if the admins are happy I'll be glad to post a selection of town and city maps as an album (is that the same as a portfolio here?).

It would be nice to see your map that you mention - let me know when it's posted here.
    Yeah, you can post your maps to an album and then put a link in your signature - like the one at the bottom of my post.
    If you want more comments, then I'd suggest also posting maps to the Finished Maps subforum.
    More people will see them and comment on them than will if they are just in an album.
    If you have any questions about how anything works here on the forum, just ask.
    Some things took me a while to figure out when I started on here.

I'm hoping to post that map soon. Possibly this week.
    I have to get back in touch with the client about the copyright transfer.

Welcome to the Guild Roger. That's some impressive work. I can certainly see how these maps could required 9 months to complete. The level of detail is admirable. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - really lovely maps you've got there, love that style and your muted color palette
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Hi arsheesh and thank you. The Amsterdam and Gibraltar maps actually took four and a half months each to complete, nine months in total - however I was relieved to finish each one. It seems that I'm swamped on here by digital wizardry, your own work included. This is something I won't be attempting any time soon although digital colouring of scanned hand-drawn work is something I want to look into.

Hi tilt and thanks for the welcome. It seems we have similar interests apart from maps as in type and graphic exploration - it's nice to see your very competent work.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the kind words, yes - love all kinds of graphics, day job is more indesign than photoshop though
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast