Thread: Niyol - A WIP

Wip Niyol - A WIP

I was hoping to get some feedback and guidance on changes I should make to my map. I am not the artist (I can't draw a straight line using the line tool in PS), but the artist I commissioned based the map off the example I sent them. I'm fairly certain the river flow is messed up, amongst other things - but I was hoping you all could tell me where to begin. Thank you!

Note: If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Society X Map.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	7.15 MB 
ID:	83073

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hi there.. nice looking map maybe with practice you can get past the external artist and do it yourself ... a simple rule concerning rivers is that they never part, always come together, so that needs to be fixed. See it as the root of a tree at the edge of the continent, its branches going in country other than that it looks good, I'd add a frame, compass and scale perhaps?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Yeah, what Tilt said really! The rivers usually start from high places and work their way down to the coast. They don't usually branch out, but join together on their journey!

Like Tilt said, a frame and compass would be good, but otherwise your artist has a nice style!

@ Tilt - any suggestions on how the river flow should go?

@Both - I have no idea how to create a scale. A border - i'll look in to something that fits. And compass... same thing.

I appreciate the feedback tremendously, thank you!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Hi Gonzo 6996, The rivers should begin in the mountains, and can really go any direction you want them to as long as whatever direction they go is considered down hill.They could also begin at lakes, but the lake should only have one river coming out of it. They may get fed into by many rivers but usually only have one exit point for the water. Also, if you want them to fork, most of the time that requires there to be a delta. I think there are some free scales and compasses in the mapping elements threads down near the bottom of the forums.

I like the general idea of your map. The volcano's in the water is an interesting idea. I like it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Tonnichiwa said it well - start the rivers in the mountains and let them flow as you like - they can come together but they never part. They can end in a lake or in the ocean, if they exit a lake it in one river only.
    Feel free to grab a compass from the ones I've made (check my signature)
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thank you all for the feedback. I conveyed everything to the artist, and this is the updated version of the map (bear in mind, the split near the Moon lettering is man-made - the river flows in a city, and the split was done for the city's purpose)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map complete revision .jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	8.38 MB 
ID:	83540

Looking really nice Gonzo! Just a couple of stylistic pointers. First, the drop shadow you've added to the land-forms makes them appear to be floating in the air over the sea. Second, this is a bit more subjective but personally I don't feel that the three fonts you've chosen for the title, land and sea work well together. Otherwise, nice work.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh